The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
antianxiety and hypnotic drugs
BENZODIAZEPINES-binds to GABA receptors. its also used as an anticonvulsant.they interfear with motor ability,attention and judgement.(DIAZEPAM CLONAZEPAM ALPRAZOLAM)
BUSPIRONE-reduces anxiety without strong sedative-hypnotic efffects.
deficiency of NOREPINEPHRINE or SERATONIN or both in the limbic system
TRICYCLIC ANTIDEPRESSANT(TCA)-acts primarily by blocking reuptake of norepinephrine(AMITRIPTYLINE IMIPRINE NORTRIPTYLINE)
SELECTIVE SEROTONON REUPTAKE INHIBITORS(SSRI)-block reuptake of serotonin.they take upto 3-6 weeks to function.(CELEXA ZOLOFT PAXIL)
MONOAMINE OXIDASE INHIBITORS(MOI)-act by inhibiting the enzyme MAO, interferring w/ destruction of neurotransmitter monoamine.(phenelzine tranylcypromine)
LITHIUM-affects electrical conductivity in neurons. it may interact with sodium/potassium at the cell membrane to stabilize conductivity. it has A LOW THERAPEUTIC INDEX.(DOSE 0.8-1.5)
ANTICONVULSANTS-reduces mood swings in bipolar pts. (drugs: CARBAMAZAPINE(TEGROL)-DEPAKOTE-CLONAZEPAM(KLONOPIN)
IT IS EFFECTIVE IN TREATING MANIC DEPRESSION.
- CARBAMAZEPINE(TEGROL)-IT TREATS UNIPOLAR DEPRESSION.
- CLONAZEPAM(KLONOPIN)-ITS STRUCTURALY A BENZODIZEPINE, A TYPE OF ANTIANXIETY MED. IT HAS STRONG SEDATING PROPERTIES.PT DEVELOP TOLERANCE AND DEPENDENCE.
- these drugs are stong antagonist of dopamine. treats positive symp. of schitzopherenia(delusions/hallucinations)
- causes-involuntary motor movement.(parkinsonism)orthostatic hypotension,weight gain.(THIOXANTHENES PHENOTHIAZINES)
- these cause few to no extrapyramidal symptoms. treatsnegative and positive symptoms. they are also antagonist for serotonin receptors.
- CLOZAPINE- MAY INDUCE AGRONULOCYTOSIS NOT THE 1ST LINE USAGE.
- RISPERIDONE-REDUCES HALLUCINATIONS AND DELUSIONS AND CAUSES ORTHOSTATIC HYPOTENSION.
- QUETIAPINE-BROAD RECEPTOR BINDING PROFILE. PRODUCES SEDATION AND WEIGHT GAIN
refers to the action of drug on the person
refers to the action of the person on the drug( absorption,excretion, etc)