Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF)
- NeupogenTo decrease incidence of infection in clients receiving myelosuppressive chemotherapeutic agents, including clients with AML undergoing induction or consolidation therapy, and clients undergoing bone marrow transplant; adjunct to chemotherapy for both solid tumor and hematologic malignancies; and for mobilization of progenitor stem cells used in autologous transplant; also for treatment of clients with severe, chronic neutropenia.
- MOA: increases production of neutrophils and enhances their phagocytosis.
- Contra: hypersensitivity to Escherichia coli-derived proteins. 24 hrs before or after cytotoxic chemotherapy.
- Caution: pregnancy, lactation, safety in children is not known.
- SE: N&V, skelatal pain, alopecia, diarrhea, fever, skin rash, anorexia, headache, cough, chest pain, sore throat, constipation
- AR:Neutropenia, dyspnea, splenomegaly, psoriasis, hematuria. Thrombocytopenia, MI, adult respiratory distress syndrome in clients with sepsis, splenic rupture.
- Interactions: increase in lactic acid, LDH, alkaline phoshatase transient increase in neutrophils.