Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
3 forms of Vitamin K?
- 1. phylloquionone
- 2. faroquinone
- 3. menadione (most toxic form)
Functions of Vitamin K?
- blood clotting (synthesis of prothrombin)
- necessary for digestion
Vitamin K deficiency?
- sulfa drugs & antibiotics over extended period of time can cause deficiency of Vitamin K
Toxicity of Vitamin K?
- brain damage
- break of RBC (erythrocyte hemolysis)
- K3 most toxic
Sources of Vitamin K?
- intestinal bacteria in colon (50%)
- plant sources--green leafy vegetables
- liver,milk,egg yolk
Characteristics of Vitamin K?
- fat soluble
- requires bile for absorption
- transported in lymphatic system(like ALL other fat soluble vitamins)
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview