The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Another name for Vitamin C?
Functions of Vitamin C?
- wound healing
- metabolism of tyrosine & tryptophan
- converts ferric to ferrous for absorption
- converts folic acid to floinic acid for absorption
- prevents infection & collagen formation
Deficiency of Vitamin C?
- bleeding gums
- poor healing of wounds (faulty collagen formation)
- microcytic (small cell)
Vitamin C disease?
Vitamin C sources?
- acerola cherry (highest source of vitamin C in ALL fruit)
- citrus fruits
- oranges, lemons, limes, dark green vegetables, cantaloupe, strawberries, green peppers, tomatoes
Characteristics of Vitamin C?
- water soluble
- most unstable vitamin alcohol
- stress increases your need for vitamin C( effects absorption of vitamin C)
- when eaten with iron containing foods, absorption of iron can double or triple; therefore cause iron overload