Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Other names for Niacin?
- 1. niacin
- 2. nicotinic acid (found in plant tissue)
- 3. nicotinamide
- 4. niacinamide(found in animal tissue)
- Nicotinamide & Niacinamide are most potent form
Function of Niacin?
- part of coenzyme for metabolism of energy nutrients
- synthesized in body from amino acid tryptophan
- 4 D's Dermatitis, Diarrhea, Dementia, Death
- sensitive to sunlight (sunburn quickly)
- Glossitis (balck, smooth tounge)
Disease of Niacin?
Pellagra= disease of the 4 D's
- tingling & flushing sensation in hands and feet
- paralysis of respiratory center
- painful flush and rash ("niacin rush")
- liver damage
All protein containing foods
- water soluble
- most stable of all vitamins not easily destroyed by heat, air & light
- used to lower cholesterol but must be careful--only under Dr. supervision!!
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview