The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
awareness of the outside world and of one’s own mental processes, thoughts, feelings, and perceptions
Four basic properties of consciousness
Intentionality of consciousness:
Consciousness is always about something.
Unity of consciousness:
Consciousness is resistant to division.
Selectivity of consciousness:
The capacity to include some objects and not others.
Transience of consciousness:
The tendency of consciousness to change
the attempt to change conscious states of mind
the conscious avoidance of a thought
Levels of consciousness:
variations in quantity how much awareness you have
States of consciousness:
variations in quality nature of awareness
I am aware that I say, do, think, perceive, feel
Feelings, thoughts, memories, emotions touching awareness
Fears of loss & abandonment; drives of love & belonging; the hurt & rejected child within – acted upon, but not normally aware of.
Encapsulated drives/beliefs/processes that we unconsciously seek to realize in life (gender roles, ambitions, etc).
Good sleep hygiene: Good sleep habits Personal habits-
- Fix a bedtime and an awakening time
- Avoid napping
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine 4-6 hours before bed
- Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4-6 before bed
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed
good Sleeping environment
- Use comfortable bedding
- Find a comfortable temperature
- Block out any/all distracting noise
- Block out light
- Reserve the bed for sleep (don’t use it as an office, recreation room, tv center, etc.)
good ways for Getting ready for bed
- Practice relaxation before bed
- Establish pre-sleep ritual (warm bath, brush teeth, reading, etc.)
- Get into comfortable sleeping clothes
- Get into comfortable sleeping position
- Leave worries behind
A behavioral state AND an altered state of consciousness of reduced awareness and reduced responsiveness to the environment.