Socio Ch 5-8
Card Set Information
Socio Ch 5-8
Sociology 1 Chapter 5
correlation between 2 variables, where a change of one variable is the cause of a change in another variable. (domino affect)
Valid sociological topic?
any human behavior. even bad behavior.
: spouse abuse.
research is based on?
access to subject
basic steps of scientific reserach?
1. select topic
2. identify problem
3. review literature
4. form hypothesis
5. pick research method
6. collect data
7. analyze results
8. share results with the community of sociologists
"how sociologists gather data"
2. participant observation
3. secondary analysis
6. unobtrusive measures.
how sociologists choose research methods
based on questions to be answered
their access to potential subjects
their training (personal education)
why sociological research is often contraversial
people get upset because sociologists...
1. do research on bad/illegal activities
2. research on personal/intimate areas
3. biases or goes against interests
relationship between gender and research
there are 2 aspects:
1. based on samples of men don't necessarily apply to women and vice versa.
2. some researches, such as studying abused spouses, rape victims, and rapists, the GENDER OF THE RESEARCHER could affect the results.
relationship between theory and research:
They depend on each other.
theory is used to interpret the data they gather.
theory makes questions that need to be answered by research.
research helps make theory.