Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Generic Name: Amoxicillin
Trade Name: Amoxil
Pt Name: Antibiotic
Amoxicillin Therapeutic Effects
Bactericidal action against susceptible bacteria
Amoxicillin Adverse and Common Side Effects
* Adverse in CAPS
*Common in italics
- * PSEUDOMEMBRANOUS COLITIS *ANAPHYLAXIS
- *SERUM SICKNESS
Amoxicillin PT / Family Education
* Notify if diarrhea, abdominal cramping, fever or blody stools
* Advise PT to report signs of superinfection ( furry overgrowth on the tongue, vaginal itching or discharge, loose or foul-smelling stools).
*Instruct female pts taking oral contraceptives (use judgement here!!!) to use an alternate or additional nonhormonal method of contraception during therapy with amoxicillin.
Generic Name: Diltiazem
Trade Name: Cardizem.
Pt Name: Heart / Blood Pressure Pill
Cardizem Therapeutic Effects
*Systemic vasodilation resulting in decreased blood pressure
* Coronary vasodilation resulting in decreased frequency and severity of attacks of angina
*Reduction of ventricular rate in atrial fibrilation or flutter.
Cardizem Adverse and Common Side Effects
- * ARRYTHMIAS
- * CHF
- * STEVEN-JOHNSON SYNDROME
- *Peripheral edema
- * Dry mouth
Cardizem PT/ Family Education
- * May cause drowsiness or dizziness
- * Notify healthcare professional if irregular heartbeats, dyspnea, swelling of hands and feet, pronounced dizziness, nausea, severe headaches.
- * Caution pt to change positions slowly to prevent orthostatic hypotension
Generic Name: Warfarin (sodiums)
Trade Name: Coumadin
Pt name: Blood pressure pill / stroke pill
Coumadin Therapeutic Effects
Prevention of thromboembolic events (blood clots, emoblism)
Coumadin Adverse and Common Side Effects
- * BLEEDING
- * Cramps
Coumadin PT / Family Education
- * Advise pt to report any symptoms of unusual bleeding or bruising.
- * Advise pt to avoid cranberry juice during therapy ( Vitamin K is antidote for warfarin)
- * Instruct pt to use soft toothbrush, not to floss, and to shave with electric razor during warfarin therapy.
Generic Name: Digoxin
Trade Name: Lanoxin
Pt Name: Heart pill
Lanoxin Therapeutic Effects
Increased cardiac ouput and slowing of the heart rate
Lanoxin Adverse and Common Side Effects
- * ARRYTHMIAS
- *YELLOW OR GREEN VISION
Lanoxin PT / Family Education
* Advise pt to inform healthcare professional if cold or flu-like symptoms appear (could indicate digitalis toxicity)
Generic Name: Metformin
Trade Name: Glucophage
Pt Name: Sugar pill
Glucophage Therapeutic Effects
Maintenance of blood glucose
Glucophage Adverse and Common Side Effects
- * LACTIC ACIDOSIS
- * Abdominal bloating
- *Unpleasant metallic taste
Glucophage PT / Family Teaching
* Advise pt to report any signs of lactic acidosis (chills, diarrhea, dizziness, hypotension, muscle pain, sleepiness, slow heartbeat or pulse, dyspnea, or weakness)
* Inform pt that unpleasant metallic taste resolved spontaneously.
* Explain that metmorfin helps control hyperglycemia, but does not cure diabetes.