Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
that is, by speaking and writing in terms of your audiences wishes, interests, hopes and preferences
or miler synonyms that convey your meaning without carrying negative connotations.
avoids words and prases that unfairly and even unethically categorize or stigmatize people in ways related to gender, race, ethnicity, age , or disability
Bias Free language
- gender bias
- racial and ethnic bias
- age bias
Establishing your Credibility
- honesty-will earn you respect, even if they dont always agree with you
- objectivity-show that you can distance yourself from emotional situations and look all sides of an issue
- awareness of audience needs-let audience know you understand whats important to them
- credentials , knowledge, expertise-do your research
- endorsements-statement on your behalf by someone who is accepted by your audience as a expert
- performance-get the joh done
- confidence-believe in yourself and in the message without sounding boastful or arrogrant
- sincerity-when you praise, dont use hyperbole. point out specific qualties that warrant praise
- the choices you make to express yourself:the words you select, the manner in which you use those words in sentences, and the way you build paragraphs from individual sentences.
- style creates tone.
- overall impressions in you messages.
- right tone depends on the nature of you r message and your relationship with the reader.
tone of your business messages can range
from informal o conversational to formal.
conversational tone- plain language that sounds businesslike without being stuffy at one extreme or too laid back and informal at the other extreme
FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES
- understand the difference between texting and writing
- avoid obsolete and pompous language
- avoid preaching and bragging
- be careful with intimacy
- be careful with humor
- when the subject peforms the action and the object receives the action
- Jodi sent the email message
- when the subject receives the action
- the email message was sent by jodi
hone your craft by viewing your writing at three levels
- strong words
- effective sentences
- coherent paragraphs
expresses a concept, quality, or characterisitc
when you compose busines messages. look for most powerfulwords for each situation
- choose strong, precise words-choose words that exprss your thoughts clearly, specifyically, strongly.
- choose familiar words-words that are best to you and your readers
- avoid cliches and buzzwords carefully-bw-newly coined terms often associated with technology
sentences come in four basic varities
- simple-one main clause
- compound-two main clauses that express two or more independent but related thoughts
- complex-expresses one main thought and one or more subordinate thoughts
- compound-complex-two main clauses at least one contains subordinate clause
elements of a paragraph
- topic sentence= introduces topic
- support sentences-must be related to the topic and provide examples , evidence, and clarification
- transitions- connect ideas by showing how one thought is related to another.
- cause and effect
- problem and solution
four aspects of being sensitive to audience needs when writing business messages
- "you" attitude
- good etiquette
- sensitive communications
- avoid biased language
how to select the words that not only correct but also effective
- balancing abstract and concret words
- choosing powerful and familiar words
- avoiding cliches, buzzwords, and using jargon carefully