The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why was the Constitution needed?
- *Articles of confederation had several apparent shortcomings.
- *Couldn't compose taxes
- *Couldn't regulate trade between stage
- *Couldn't raise and mantain a military
- *Consisted of 1 branch, Legislative
- *First one met in Philadelphia in May 1786 to revise of confederation.
- *Georgia sent four delegates;
- William Pierce
- William Houston
- William Few
- Abraham Baldwin
Georgia and the Constitution
- *Opposed a ban on slavery
- *Supported creating a strong central goverment
- *Georgia needed help protecting its vast frontier from Indian Raids by the Creeks
- *A Georgia delegate to the convention, forced a tie with Houston causing the question of representation to go in commitee.
- *Resulted in the Great Compromise, creation of the Senate and House of Representatives.
Outline of the Constitution
- *Preamble: Introduces the concept of "Popular sovereignty"
- *The articles: Established the foundation of our government
- *The Amendments Guarantee certain rights to all citizens
*Requires formal approval by 9 states*Despite problems with the articles of confederation. Some were unsure of this new constitution. GA became the 4 to ratify the Constitution.
- *A bill must pass both houses of the legislature by a 2/3 majority in each
- *Once the bill has passed both houses it goes on to the states
- *Passed in states by simple majority vote
Bill of Rights
- *Provided a list of rights for all people
- *Helped to dissipate concerns of too powerful of a national government
- *New amendments can be added
- *There are currently 27 amendments