The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define chemical reactions.
- the transformation of one or more
- substances into different substances. Ex: color changes in a shirt because of
- the sun, or heating to a spoon.
Define Evolution reactions.
- reactions that occur in liquids and form a
Define combustion reactions
- substance reacts w/ oxygen, emitting heat and
- forming one or more oxygen-containing compounds. Subcategory of
Define oxidation reduction.
- electrons are transferred from one
- substance to another.
- Ex: formation of rust and the dulling of
- automobile paint
Define precipitation reaction.
forms solid substances in water.
Define gas evolution reaction.
The formation of a gas is evidence of a chemical reaction.
Define balanced equation.
- one in which the #s of each type of atom on
- both sides of the equation are equal. (insert coefficients, not subscripts)
Define the abbreviations: s, l, g, --->, +, (5)
- s: solid
- l: liquid
- g: gas
- --> "reacts to form"
- +: and