Terms: David Damrosch What is World Literature
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
World Literator. Term used by Damrosch to describe Goethe.
Cosmopolitanism and jingoism
- Cosmo- open and embraces the whole world
-jingo- proud of own culture, obsessed with own patriotism.
Classicism and Romanticism
-R- dealing with emotion. 2nd half of the 18th century.
- a universally understood symbol or term or pattern of
- behavior, a prototype upon which others are copied, patterned, or emulated.
mode of circulation
- a fluid allowing works to come in an out. It requires a double process: It has to be actively read in it's home
- culture and translated and read abroad. When it is not actively read it will fall out of the mode. (pg 6)
works defined by an authority. such as the Bible, it was defined by religious authorities.
is the practice of viewing the world from a European perspective and with an implied belief, either consciously or subconsciously, in the preeminence of European culture.
Susan Lancer says it is impractical- you move around to different areas but essentially come back to your home. Reading texts from different areas but ultimatley staying within your own.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview