The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Whats the difference between kussmaul, cheyne stoke and agonal breathing?
- Agonal breathing - breathing after the heart has stopped
- Cheyne stoke - Respirations (stroke and head injury) Irregular respiratory pattern Increasing rate and depth of respiration followed by a period of apnea
- Kussmaul- deep rapid breathing found in ketoacidosis
What happens when someone takes to much inhaler?
Tachycardia, hyper, nervous
Who desides how many doses for an inhaler to admin
They will want vitals signs
How do you know if your ventilating someone right?
- Proper rate 10-12 adults - 12 to 20 infants and children "rates"
- Visible and equal chest rise and fall
- Heart rate returns to normal range
Pg 247 Emt tips
Inadequate to fast or to slow ventilation deliver
When someone been choking on food, what kind of lung sounds will you hear?
If someone is having having trouble breathing what do you do?
A 2mth old is breathing 16 b/m is that good?
NO, 25-50 normal range
Signs and symptoms of inadequate breathing in a child?
- Accessory muscle use
- Head bobbing
- Nasal flaring
- Children resp rate 15-30
- infant 25-50
If you go on a call and you see a pt on a pillow and their unconscious, snoring, what do you do?
Take them off the pillow, head tilt chin lift
What type of oxygen technique do you use to give an infant oxygen
COPD pt's do they get Oxygen?
oxygen should not be withheld from anyone
What the medication that help you get rid of excess fluid ?
When do you apply an AED?
Why do they keep track of everyone who we put an AED on?
they wanna know the outcome on the pt.
A pt with chest pain, will we know if its angina or an MI?
NO, treat them the same.
Whats the sequence for the AED?
- Power AED
- Apply Pads
- Stop CPR ( clear everyone)
- Push analyze
- if no shock resume CPR
- Analyze after 2 min of CPR
- If shock is advised, shock. MAke sure everyones clear
- resume cpr starting with chest compressions
- check pulse after 2min cpr
- tranport and contact medical control
Who repeats the commands of the AED?
Emt AED operator
Whats the max dose Nitro?
What do red blood cells, white blood and platelets do?
- Red blood cells carry oxygen to the tissues and remove carbon dioxide
- White Help fight infection
- Platelets Clottng
What are the side effects of nitro?
What do you called fluid in the lungs?
Edema = fluid
What are signs and symptoms of a heart problem?
- Sudden onset of weakness, nausea and sweating without abvious cause
- Chest pain/discomfort/pressure that is often crushing or squeezing
- Pain or discomfort in the lower jaw, arms, back, abdomen, or neck
- Sudden arrhythmia with syncope (fainting)
- Pulmonary edema
- Sudden death
Signs and symptoms of abdomnal pain?
What does epi do during anaphylaxis
increase hate rate, dilates bronchiols and constricts blood vessels
What do you wanna know during the initial assessment during anaphylaxis?
Can they talk without trouble
Do ABC's include Oxygen?
When you help someone admin epi how often do you reasses?
What does epi do for the pt?
- Helps them breath better
- help maintain blood pressure
What is the dosage for subQ epi for an infant?
How soon should an Epi work?
Someone having an anaphylaxis and their pregnant
Call medical control
How many doses do auto injectors carry
How do we dispose of sharps
In children what causes them to go in a seizure. most common cause.
When you have low blood suger
When some is having a seizure what can we do for them?
Move objects they can cause harm and let them have the seizure
What are the most common cause of seizure in an adult?
Not taking their medication
What does glucose do in the body?
Primary fuel used for cellular metabolizm
Whats a TIA and how long does it last?
Transient ischemic attack goes away on their own within 24hrs
In SAMPLE in family history important?
NO- Look for the question with family history
If someone is having a stroke whats the most important thing to do?
Know the scope of practice for glucose?
- Never admin to uncouscious or pt who cant swallow
- Only by mouth, put it on a tongue blade and put between the cheek and gum
Runnning on a diabetic call what important to ask?
Last oral intake
Anytime someone has abdominal pain, why do we transport.
could be a heart attack
Biggest concern for female abdominal pain
What is NOT appropriate to ask a pregnant pt
Any sexual appitite
Someones been sick and vomiting for a few days, whats the bestway to transport
Anytime you have someone that is giving you a hard time
Know what the main focus when someones in shock
Is stomuch pain a high transport priority?
Car crashed into a tree and in in the embankment
Give oxygen first