Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the three components to maintain blood flow
- The pump ( the heart )
- A container ( blood vessels)
- The fluid (blood and body fluids)
What nervous system controls the heart
Autonomic nervous system
What are the five types of blood vessels?
What are the components of blood?
- Red blood cells - Responsible for the tranportation of oxygen and nutrients to the cells and tranporting carbon dioxide away from the cell
- White cells - help fight infections
- Platelets -responsible for forming blood clots
- Plasma - liquid portion
The circulation of blood withing an organ or tissue in adequate amounts to meet the cells current needs for oxygen, nutrients and waste removal
Signs and symptoms of shock
- Rapid, weak pulse
- Low blood pressure (late sign)
- Changes in mental status
- Cool, clammy skin
Describe the apperance of bleeding from a vein and artery
- Arterial - brighter red/spurts (high oxygen)
- Veins - darker/non-spurt (lower oxygen)
Do not use a PASG if the following conditions exist?
- Pulmonary edema
- Acute heart failure
- Penetrating chest injuries
- Groin injuries
- Major head injuries
- A transport time less then 30min
When you apply a tourniquet what precautions should be known?
- Do not apply over a joint - keep close to injuries
- Use the widest bandage possible
- Never use wire, rope, belt or any other narrow material
- Use wide padding under the tourniquet
- Do not loosen the tourniquet
Several conditions can result in bleeding from the nose are what?
- Skull fracture
- Facial injuries (Blow to the nose)
- Sinusitis, infections
- High blood Pressure
- Coagulation disorders
- Digital trauma
steps to stop bleeding
- Direct pressure
- Pressure dressing
- Pressure points
Late signs of shock suggesting internal bleeding
- Weakness, fainting, or dizziness at rest
- Nausea and vomiting
- Cold, moist (clammy) skin
- Shallow, rapid breathing
- Dull eyes
- Caprefill more then 2 sec
- Weak, rapid (thready) pulse
Signs and symptoms of internal bleeding
- Pain, tenderness, bruising, guarding or swelling
- Broken ribs, bruises over lower chest
What type of call can internal bleeding be found.
Trauma and medical
Use what as a last resort for bleeding
Explain the circulation of the heart
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview