Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- to teach
- -to imbue a person with learning.
- didactic: intended for instruction.
- away, off, down, completely, reversal
- -to move away, from a higher to a lower place.
- defile: to make foul, dirty, or unclean.
- -vital and social statistics of populations
- endemic: particualr to a specific people or locality.
- apart, through
- -to make wider or larger; to cause to expand
- dilatory: inclined to delay or procrastinate.
- dichotomy: division into two parts, kinds, etc.
Dic/ Dict/ Dit
- to say; to tell; to use words
- -book containing a selection of the words of a language.
- interdict: to forbid; prohibit
- -a person who holds a high rank or office
- deign: to think fit, or in accordance with one's dignity.
- condign: well deserved; fitting; adequate
- away from, apart, reversal, not
- -to pour out and spread, as in a fluid
- disseminate: to scatter or spread widely; promulgate
- -sound or correct in opinion or doctorine
- paradox: an opinion or statement contrary to accepted opinion.
- dogma: a system of tenets, as in a church.
- suffer; pain
- -full of pain or sorrow, grevious
Don/ Dot/ Dow
- to give
- -to present as a gift or contribution
- anecdote: a short narrative about an interesting event
- dubiety: doubtfulness
- indubitable: unquestionable
- to lead
- -personal behavior, way of acting; leading an orchestra
- -able to resist decay
- duress: compulsion by threat, coercion
- dour: sullen, gloomy
- faulty, abnormal
- -poorly functioning
- dystrophy: faulty or inadequate nutrition or development.
- dyspepsia: impared digestion
E/ Ef/ Ex
- out, out from, from, former, completely
- -to escape from, avoid
- extricate: to disentangle, release
- efface: to rub or wipe out; surpass; eclipse
- -the outer layer of the skin
- epigram: a witty or pointed saying tersely expressed
- epithet: a word or phrase, used invectively as a term of abuse.
- equal, even
- -the act of making equal
- iniquity: gross injusticae, wickedness
- to wander
- -a deviation from correctness or accuracy
- arrant: downright, thorough, notorious
- -between childhood and adulthood
- obsolescent: becoming obsolete
- good, well
- -pleasant-sounding term for something unpleasant
- euphony: pleasantness of sound
- outside, beyond
- -beyond the ordinary
- extradite: to hand over (person accused of crime) to state where the crime was committed
- -attack the good name of
- ineffable: too great for description of words; that which must not be uttered.
Fac/ Fic/ Fig/ Fait/ Feit/ Fy
- to do; to make
- -building for the manufacture of goods
- ratify: to confirm or accept by formal consent
- effigy: sulpture or model of a person
- to bring; to carry; to bear
- -to grant, bestow
- proffer: to offer
- to boil; to bubble
- -with the quality of giving off bubbles of gas
- fervid: ardent, intense
- faith, trust
- -to entrust with a secret
- affadavit: written statement on an oath
- fiduciary: of a trust; held or given in trust
- -at the end, coming last
- infinite: without end
- to burn
- -easily set on fire
- flambeau: a lighted torch
- flagrant: blatant, scandalous
- to bend
- -able to bend without breaking
- genuflect: to bend knee, esp. in worship
- inflect: to change or vary the pitch of
- to flow
- -substance capable of flowing freely
- confluence: merging into one.
- mellifluous: pleasing, musical
- -care or provision for the future
- -to provide with fortifications, strengthen.
- fortissimo: very loud
- forte: strong point; something a person does well.
Fra/ Frac/ Frag/ Fring
- to break
- -breakage, esp of bone
- refractory: stubborn, unmanageable, rebellious
- infringe: to break or violate (a law, etc.)
- to pour
- -lavish, extravagant, copious
- fullisade: continuous discharge of firearms, or outburst of criticism
- suffuse: to spread throughout or over from within
- diffuse: to spread widely or thinly