Paralegal Research and Writing
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
No.1 Reason to do legal research "the right way"(according to bob berring)
3 Basic Prinsiples (according to bob berring)
- 1. Understand Information
- 2. Understand Research System
- 3. Use Context -its crucial, waht are the subjects, buzzwords?
What are the different forms of Judcial Reports? (according to bob berring)
When looking at Cases/Decisions, what must you take into consideration?
- 2.Holding v. Dicta
- 3. See Opinions as "universe of information"
- 4. Reading must be done carefully.
What are OPINIONS?
They are advocacy documents (a judge's opinion); are rethorical devices.
Judicial Opinions Deal with why type of Issues?
Issues of Law
Three Part Court System
- 1. trial court (Federal level: District Court)
- 2. Appellate Court
- 3. Court of last resort (usually supreme court)
- Trial Court (state level)
- District Court (federal level)
- -resolve issues of Fact as well as Issues of Law
- Only Issues of Law
- 3 judges make decision.
- There are 13 Federal Appellate Courts (U.S. Courts of Appeals) broken down into CIRCUITS (1-11 AND Federal circuit and District of Columbia Circuit)
Court of Last Resort (Supreme Court)
Usually discritionary Jurisdiction
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview