The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name two focuses of psychoanalytic theories.
1) Inadequate childhood experiences adverfsely affect adulthood functioning. Real/imagined objects or love as TRIGGERS of depression.
2) Pathological guilt: turning aggression inward against the self (self-destructive behavior)
Name the dominant theories of depression (hint: 3 theories w/ their respected theorists)
Seligman's Learned Helplessness Model: Emphasizes attributional style (perceptions of hopelessness).
Beck's Cognitive Theory of Depression: Emphasizes negative views of the self, world, and future.
Lewinsohn's interpersonal theory: Emphasizes a restricted range of potentially reinforcing events and social skil deficits.
What is the focus of treatment for Mood disorders?
What is bipolar disorder and give 3 symptoms.
Mood characterized by depression and mania.
- 1) More talkitive than usual
- 2) Distractability
- 3) Grandiosity (superpowers)
Describe the Mania, Normal, and Depressive waves of Bipolar Disorders stages I and II, and differentiate between I, II, and Bipolar NOS.
- BPI: Manic = high top, Depressive: High bottom.
- At least 1 manic or mixed episode
(major depression-->normal-->manic ep)
- BPII: Manic = low, Depressive: High bottom
- At least 1 Depressive episode + hypomanic episode.
- (hypomania & depression alternate)
- NOS: Mood systems but not meeting criteria for I or II.
What are the best practices for DEPRESSION?
mild, moderate, severe
Mild: education, supportive therapy, family, school involvement.
- Moderate: CBT, IPT (possible meds)
- (interpersonal therapy)
- Severe: Meds & CBT or DBT.
- (cognitive-behavioral therapy, dialectical-behavioral therapy)