HIS EXAM 2
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
business where only union members could be employed
- put America on wheels
- assembly line
The Spirit of St. Louis
the 1st plane to fly nonstop across the Atlantic Ocean
"They are the lost generation"
D. W. Griffith
- "Birth of a Nation" Film
- celebrated KKK racist violence as heroic
- caused KKK to become active again
The Scopes Trail
John Scopes taught Darwin's theory, which was breaking the law. He lost the battle but not the war.
F. Scott Fitzgerald
wrote "The Great Gatsby" that portrayed rich people of the era
9 black boys ages 13-21 accused of rape by 2 white women; charges dropped on youngest 4, the rest were granted with parole.
- Civilian Conservation Corps
- work relief program
- unemployed men work to conserve natural resources
people from place of chronic drought who migrated to labor camps for work
- government assumes responsibility for some/all of the individual & social welfare of its citizens
- commonly porvides education, health care, food programs, unemployment and other benefits
President James Monroe's 1823 declaration that western Hemisphere was closed to any further colonization or interference by European powers
Britian, France and Russia
Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy
British ocean linner designed by Leonard Peskett & built by John Brown & company of blydebank, Scotland. Entered passenger service with Cunard Line
- Zimmerland Note
- diplomatic proposal from the German Empire to Mexico to make war against the US
Treaty of Brest-Litovsk
peace treaty between Russia and the Central powers, marking Russia's exit from WWI
- general officer in US army who led American Expeditionary Forces in WWI
- John Joseph "Black Jack" Pershing
periods of strong anti-communism
intellectual wing of communist party
- 28th President of the US
- a leader of the progressive movement
- wanted to stay out of the war but after the zimmerine note, entered WWI against Germany
- equal. male and female
- no classes
- Aristocracy (kings)- Greek for born to rule
- Absolute (devine)
- Constitutional (people have rights)
rule by religion
ruled by the people representative govt
gov't control- gov takes care of the people
no private ownership
ruled by the rich
Colonel Paul Tibbets
Dropped the first atomic bomb
B-29 bomber that held the atomic bomb
Chinese nationalist to fight against the Japanese
General Franciso Franco
led fascist rebels who attacked the democratically elected republican government
- went to Germany and offered Hitler appeasement
- British Prime Minister
doing what someone wants so they will leave you alone
Nazi-Soviet Nonagression Treaty
exposed Poland to attack by the German & Soviet army
place where British and French soldiers retreated to
British prime minister who vowed "we shall fight on the seas and oceans"
allowed the British to obtain arms from the Us w/o paying cash, but promising to repay after the war
Lt Colonel James Doolittle
led B-25 bomberson a raid on Tokyo that boosted American morale
Battle of Midway
turned the tide of Japanese advances in the Pacific but did little to dislodge the Japanese from the many places they had conquered and now stoutly defended
Aryan Master Race
a "pure" ideal race of blond hair and blue eyes
Germany's plan and execution of the genocide of European Jews
Germany fought the Soviet Union for control of this city. It was among the "bloodiest" battles. Red army victory
Churchill, Roosevelt, and Stalin met in Teheran to discuss wartime strategy and the second front
suicide attacks by Japanese pilots
a top secret project by Roosevelt to find a way to convert nuclear enerfy into a suepr bomb before the Germans
ordered 2 atomic bombs to be dropped on Japan, they Finally surrendered
What were the causes of WWI?
- Austria wanted to attack Surbia
- a guy from Surbia killed an archduke in Austria
- Germany backed them up
Who would you blame for WWI?
Germany, because they agreed to back up Austria, when Austria wanted to go to war, also they are blamed because they were the strongest force and caused the most deaths
How did the Versailles Peace Treaty lead to WWII?
- It was an embarrasment to Germany
- It demanded Reparations for the war
- Took land from Germany
- Took away Germany's Airforce and Navy, it also limited the army
- It demanded that Germany take responsibility for the war
How was Hitler able to come to power in Germany?
- German people were upset, they refused to pay reparations
- German soldiers felt like their own country had betrayed them
Why did Truman elect to use the Atomic bomb against Japan?
Because he didn't want to keep the war going, he just wanted it to end
Do you think Truman made the right decision? (Atomic bomb)
Yes, he warned them what would happen, and he gave them a chance to surrender, and even after the first one was dropped they still didn't surrender. He had to think about what was going to be in the best interest of our people before theirs. They could have surrendered.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview