3023 chap 9
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Types of groups (formal,informal, command, task , interest, friendship
FORMAL- we mean one defined by the organizations structure, with designated work assignments establising tasks.
INFORMAL- neither formally structured nor organizationally determined. natural formations int the work enviroment that appear in response to the need for social contact.
COMMAND-composed of the individuals who report directly to a given manager.
TASK GROUP-represents individuals working togehter to complete a job task. Can cross command relationships.
INTEREST GROUP- people affilate to attain a specific objecive with which each individual is concerned.
FRIENDSHIP- individual members have one or more common characteristics
FIVE stage model
FORMING-characterized by a great deal of uncertainty about the groups purpose , structure, and leadership."test the waters"
STORMING-members accept the existence of the group but resist the constraints it impses on individuality.
NORMING- strong sense of group identity and camaraderie. Complete when the group structure solidifies and the group has assimilated a common set of expectations of what defines correct member behavior
PERFORMING- fully functionally and accpeted. Peforming task at hand
ADJOURNING_ preparation for disbanding. Wrapping up activites.
Punctuated Equilibrium Model
- 1.First meeting sets the groups direction
- 2. this first phase of group activity is one of inertia
- 3. a transition takes place at the end of this phase, which occurs exactly when the group has used up half if allotted time
- 4.transition initiates major changes.
- 5. second phase of inertia follows transition
- 6. the groups last meeting is characterized by markedly accelrated activity.
Roles, Zimbardos (stanford) prison experiment
- stanford university psychologist Philip Zimbardo
- 15 dollars a day two dozen emotionally stable physically healthy law abiding students.
- stopped after 6 days
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview