The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The stress of competition motivates a teen to practice every day.
Examples of Biological stressors
- natural disasters
Cognitive or thinking stressors
- How you perceive a situation
- or how it affects you and your world
Personal behavior stressors
- Negative reactions to
- tobacco, alcohol, or drugs
- or lack of physical activity
Life situation stressors
- Death of a pet
- Separation/divorce of parents
- peer problems
What are the 3 stages of the body's stress response.
- 1. alarm
- 2. resistance
- 3. fatigue
What is the "fight" or "flight" response.
Your body prepares to defend itself or flee from a threat.
What is physical fatigue?
Muscles are over worked
What is Psychological fatigue?
- Results from:
- constant worry,
- isolation, or being overwhelmed
What is pathological fatigue?
- Overworking your body's defenses against disease.
- flu (prolonged illness),
- being overweight,
- poor nutrition
What are the physical effects of stress on your health?
- high blood pressure
- weakened immune system
What are the mental/emotional/social effects of stress on your health?
- difficulty concentrating
- mood swings
- risks of substance/drug abuse
Ways to take control of chronic stress.
- Get physical activity,
- Look for support from friends and family,
- Get a hobby that relaxes you,
- Avoid using tobacco, alcohol, or other drugs.