The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What makes up the CNS?
Brain and Spinal cord
Name the four areas of the Brain
- Cerebral Hemispheres with cerebral cortex (3.2-3.5lbs)
- Brain Stem
What make up the Diencephalon?
What makes up the Brain Stem?
- Medulla Oblongata
How is the brain protected?
- Blood Brain Barrier
- Cerebrospinal Fluid
Describe the Cranium
Formed by the skull bones
Describe the Meninges
- 3 tough membranes
- Dura Mater
- Arachnoid Mater
- Pia Mater
Desribe the Dura Mater
- It is the outer most layer of the meninges
- It is the strongest layer
- drains venous blood
Describe the Arachnoid mater
- The middle layer of the meninges
- Houses the subarachnoid space which contains CSF
Describe the Pia Mater
- It is the inner most meninge layer
- lines brain
- contains blood vessels
Describe the Blood Brain Barrier
- allows O2 and glucose to pass freely
- formed by a tight junction of astrocytes
- Regulates premiability
Describe Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF)
- Protects the brain from chemical and physical injury
- Nourishes the brain
- Reduces the weight by 97%
- Formed in the choroid plexuses
Describe the Circulation of CSF
- It is formed in the ventricles
- Lateral horns ----> Third Ventricle---->Fourth Ventricle---->Central Canal------>subarachnoid space---->back to blood
Describe the ventricles
- Connected to one another and to the central canal of the spinal cord
- Lined by ependymal cells
- Contain CSF
- there ar 4 ventricles (2lateral , 3rd, 4th ventricle)
What do you call the ridges in the Cerebrum (Cerebral Hempispheres)
- Gyrus -Singular
What do you call the grooves in the Cerebrum?
- Slucus -Singluar
- Sulci - Plural
What do you call the deep grooves in the Cerebrum
How many lobes are there in the cerebrum?
Name the five lobes of the Cerebrum