The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Chinese philosophy and families:
Confucianism, edu, moral virtue
Confucianism: five ordinary relationships :
heaven, emperor, father/son, husband/wife, teacher/student, three leading relationships:
emperor, father, husband
Zhong- loyalty, Xiao- filial piety (child), Jie- integrity, Yi- justiceness, Ren- humanity
One child policy:
- Chinese Family Structure: patriarchal (roles),
- patrilineal (daughters leave), and patrilocal (Sons wanted)
PRC- largest population, child bearing permit, incentives, penalties, lack of elderly care, abuse of women,
Asian Indian families
Family Structure: patriarchal,patrilineal, and patrilocal system, authority, examgamous
Article: joint family (lineally extended family), broken (head w/o spouse), nuclear (head w/spouse), education increases- nuclear family, social mobility
Caste System: varna, purusa creator, Brahmins (priests), Kshatrayias (warriors and rulers), vaisays (traders/officials), sudras (unskilled workers), Pariah (untouchables)
Middle Eastern Families
- Family Structure: extended, patriarchal, patrillineal, patrilocal, endogamous, and occasionally polygamous,
- Based on blood ties (PATRILLINEAL DESCENT), family is the center (we), heirarchy, honor, networks for jobs, consensus, divorce is discouraged
- New develoment in Middle east: industrialization, urbanization, women's rights, patrilocal (undermined), examgamous marriage, legal age of marriage raised,
- fertility rates: less with higher edu, indadequate sociaeco change, edu impacts age of marriage
killing member of family b/c of dishonor to family,
: Islamic Ideology, arranged marriage,
family is basis, separation of private and public lives, loyalty, pride, nepotism is a good thing,
patriarchal, patrilineal, and patrilocal, gender roles and double standards, full body covering
- Family Transitions: old stage (5 marital stages: monogamous, polygamous, marrige with 2 women, lean "borrowed" marriage, cousin marriage (keep family line pure)
- new stage: Shia'a Islam, Islamic revolution, republic, cultural policies, love in marriage, increase in divorce rate, women divorce
- Race: has been a matter of political contention.
- Race consciousness is largely a modern phenomenon.
- Biological concept.
- Race is a category of people who are related by a common heredity or ancestry and who are perceived and responded to in terms of external features or traits
- Race as a social concept.
- A pre-eminently sociohistorical concept.
- Ethnicity: refers to “statuses based on cultural heritage and shared ‘feelings of peoplehood’”
- Ethnic group: is a category of people set apart from
- others because of distinctive customs and lifestyles. They are groups of people who share a common language, ancestry, or land of origin.
- Minority group: – a category of people who are set apart for unequal treatment because of physical or cultural characteristics
- It is a subordinate group whose members have significantly less control or power over their own lives than members of a dominant or majority group have over theirs.
- Minority group is
- not necessarily a numerical minority; the critical factor is unequal treatment in terms of power and influence, access to resources, and life chances
AFrican American Families
only group to enter US involuntarily (differential power)
Deficit model of family structure: cultural deviant,
- Taylors Article: Theoretical approaches: How do we explain African American current family situation?
- –Argued that “slavery destroyed African American familial structures and cultures and gave rise to a host of dysfunctional family features”
- –Emergence of the African American “matriarchal” or
- maternal family system.
- Weakened the economic position of African American men and their authority in the family
- Thus, family form was inherently unstable and produced pathological outcomes in the family unit, such as high rates of poverty,illegitimacy, crime