The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is generalized anxiety disorder?
-Excessive worrying, impaired functioning, poor concentration
What is a panic disorder?
- -Panic attacks which are sudden, unexpected. These people will worry about having another attack and feel as if they are dying. Lasts a short time.
- -Characterisitics: Racing heart, chest pain, shaking, GI distress, heart attack like
What is obesessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?
- Excessive thoughts and ritual actions. These people know something is wrong. It impairs functioning.
What is a phobic disorder?
-Irrational fear, certain trigger, they know it is irrational but cant help. Address it by avoiding it.
What is agoraphobia?
- -Phobic disorder
- -Fear of going outside
What is social phobia?
- -phobic disorder
- -Fear of being humiliated, scrutinized, or embarassed in public. Can be different degrees of social phobia
What is a specific phobia?
- -phobic disorder
- -Fear of a specific object or situation
What is Acute stress disorder?
- -Within 4 wks of trauma
- -Flashbacks, lack of interest, anxiety
What is posttraumatic stress disorder?
- -Beyond 4 wks, can go unrecognized, repression, hallucinations, anger
What is adjustment disorder?
-Stressful event, less than 6 months, impairment, suicidal or depression common, not ASD or PTSD
What is a somatoform disorder?
- Anxiety is expressed from physical symptoms but no cause. It is an unconcious defensive mechanism.
What is somatization disorder?
-Develops over years, sees many doctors, they get all tests done.
What is pain disorder?
-Excessive pain, may overuse meds
What is hypochondriasis?
-Worrying about having a serious disease. Mistinterpreting of body symptoms.
What is conversion disorder?
-Alteration of voluntary motor or sensory functions. Person may have seizures or paralysis. La belle indifference, patient does not care.
What is factitious disorder?
-Faking disorder to have the sick "roll"
What is malingering?
Intentional faking of symptoms to reach a goal
What is dissociative disorder?
Removal of painful concious awareness, extreme stress and trauma, splitting off, pathological when it changes identity.
What is dissociative amnesia?
-Loss of memory from severe stress
What is dissociative fugue?
-Travel away from home and these people have a new life. Usually accompanied by amnesia
What is depersonalization
-detached, robot like, out of body experience
What is dissociative identify disorder (DID)?
-2 or more identities, splitting the host, person is unaware
What are short acting benzodiazepines?
- -Alprazolam (Xanax)
- -Lorazepam (Ativan)
- -Oxazepam (Serax)
- -Temazepam (Restoril)
What are long acting benzodiazepines?
- -Chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
- -Clonazepam (klonopin)
- -Diazepam (Valium)