Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- Elastic tissue is colored blue and consists of adventia, collagen is pale pink and cytoplasm (in
- smooth muscle and nerve) is red and consists of tunica media and the innermost layer, tunica intima is closest to the lumen.
- Protection to arterial walls, help in contraction and relaxation, controls blood pressure
- Human Cardiovascular System
ARTERY, VEIN AND NERVE
Peripheral arteries, veins, and nerves tend to travel and branch in parallel.
All three have different functions towards the human body.
Supply oxygenated blood
Collects deoxygenated blood
Conducts impulses from the brain/spinal cord to receptor organs as well as conducting impulses from the receptor organs back to the brain/spinal cord.
Human organ system
- Immunity by attaching foreign agents
- Diffuse lymphoid tissues (lymphoid nodule) composed of lymphocytes
- Found along the intestinal wall with higher amounts in the ileum and appendix
- A lymph node is round, ovoid, or bean-shaped and varies in size from less than 1 mm to 2-3 cm. Lymph nodes may enlarge during infection or disease and then they are easily palpated.
- Lymph nodes produce lymphocytes and antibodies, filter the lymph (remove dead bacteria and other foreign bodies), serve as a defense mechanism to prevent the spread of malignant cells, and represent potential hemopoietic organs.
- Location:Found along the course of blood vessels, often at the flexor aspects of joints (e.g., inguinal, popliteal, and axillary lymph nodes).
- Thymus is a bilobed mass of lymphatic tissue. It reaches its greatest relative weight (10-15 g) at birth and its greatest absolute weight (30-40 g) about the time of puberty. It begins to involute after puberty (weighing about 25 g at 25 years, 13 g at 50 years, and 6 g at 75 years) and may become difficult to recognize grossly because of fatty infiltration. Gonads, suprarenal glands, and the thyroid gland influence the thymus.
- Maturation site for T cells
- Found close to vessels at the base of heart.
- PALATINE TONSILS
- Characteristics:Top layer of the tonsil consists of stratified Squamous epithelium followed by lymphatic tissue.
- Function: Helps in local immunity and cytokine action.
- These are the tonsils that can be seen on the left and right sides at the back of the throat.