race and ethinicity
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
when does sterotyping occurr?
when we exaggerate oversimplified images of the characteristics of social categories
there is no such thing as race (T/F)
what is racism defined?
combination of prejudice and discrimination
what is prejudice?
- unfavourable generalized and rigid beliefs applied to all members of a group
what is discrimination?
- practices that deny groups equal access to societal rewards
what do we know about race and science?
didnt begin with science but actually pre dates it
when was term race first used?
william dunbar in 1508
what did darwin suggest?
people posesses genetic material and were able to adjust to their environment
what did gregor mendels research suggest?
- biological traits not passed on
- not clones of our parents
race is not a meanugful ________ category
race is a social contruction, an achieved status as much as it is an ascribed status because
- over life we contruct meaning of race just as social class
- 1. racial classification are arbitrary
- 2.genetic differences between groups are small
- 3.genetic differences are behaviourally significant
wat did W.I thomas say?
- if people define situations as real, they are real in their consequences -thomas theorem
- beflief in race gives rise to interpersonal racism
what are two types of intsitutional racism?
- systematic- black people not gettin served
- systemic- height and weight restrictions for work
what is intstitutional racism?
discriminatory racial practices built into structures such as political, economic and education system
what is everyday racism?
word and ideas you use in everyday life
what is ideological racism?
certain cultural values that we have
describe racism from sociological perspective:
give life to believe race and how we treat other people
what are 3 reason why racial crimes occue:
- normative explanations
expalin biological racial crimes:
- ethnic grouping is natural
- discrimination prejudice and ethnocentrism will comtinue to happen
explain Van den Berge
reason why people attracted to each other= genetical reality
what are three categories of race according to Rushton:
- negroids- more succeptible to crime and violence
- mongoloids-more intelligent and less crime
what is ugenics?
explain psychological racial crimes:
- fustration with you life leads to aggresion
- ex fustration-agression theory
explain normative explanation for racial crimes:
- prejudice and dicrimination passed on from generation to the other
- prejudice and discrimiantion socialized into children
explain normative theory I
- prejudice is result of group socialization and whoever is exposed to it will show discrimination
- various situations determine how people interpret norms
explain normative theory II (robert merton)
- discrimination occur before prjudice or stereotypes created
- most people cant attain success so blame others (discriminate) b/c they dont like taking responsibility for it
explain who john porter is and the vertical mosaic:
- well known canadian sociologist
- vertical mosaic is society which ethnic groups havedifferent and unequal positions in stratification system
- identified charter and netrance groups
distiguish between charter and entrance groups:
- charter groups: take control and decide what other groups will be let inand what they can do
- in canada this includes english and french which take up top position
- entrance groups: culturally and racially inferior to charter group and were placed in lower level
- this grouo had limited chance for upward mobility
explain satzewich take on what merton said and a conflict approach
- hard to become wealthy in capitalist societ b/c of prejudice and discrimination
- immigrants blamed for situation of proletariat. result was :
- chinese head taxes
- exclusionary rules
- systemic discrimination: visible minority wages
according to Edna Bonaich's split market theory, what were three groups in society?
- highly paid (white) labour
- Lower paid (non white) labour
- bussiness class benefit from working class fighting
- racism caused by capitalism
who said that we should examine the career of race?
who do what do post modernists believe?
we constructed a reality that doesnt exist
what is an objective approach to ethinicity?
ethnic groups exist because of people social attachment
whta is a subjective approach to ethnicity?
focus on process of ethnic identification
what is the primordalist thesis?
people associate with others who are similar in terms of language. culture, beliefs, and appearance
what are exclusionary practices?
practices that deny labours to cheaper, more expliotable labour
what does the split market theory suggest?
racial and ethnic conflict is rooted in difference in price of labour
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview