The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is VMware vCenter Server?
VMware vCenter Server is a service that acts as a central administration point for ESX/ESXi hosts and their virtual machines connected on a network.
How many hosts are supported per vCenter Server instance?
Up to 1,000 host are supported per vCenter Server instance.
How many powered-on virtual machines are supported per vCenter Server instance?
Up to 10,000 powered-on virtual machines are supported per vCenter Server instance.
How many registered virtual machines are supported per vCenter Server instance?
Up to 15,000 registered virtual machines are supported per vCenter Server instance.
vCenter Server Software consists of many services and modules. Name 6 advance features provided by vCenter Server.
- 1. VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS)
- 2. VMware High Availablility (HA)
- 3. VMware Fault Tolerance (FT)
- 4. VMware vMotion
- 5. VMware Storage vMotion
- 6. VMwarre Distributed Power Management (DPM)
A linked Mode group can have up to how many vCenter Server systems joined to it.
Up to 10 vCenter Server systems can be joined to a Linked Mode group.
What are the vCenter Architecture components?
- vCenter Server and its additional modules
- vSphere Client
- vCenter Server database
- Active Directory Domain
- ESX and ESXi managed hosts
What is the most critical component in the vCenter architecture?
The most critical component is the vCenter Server database.
What does the vCenter Server database store?
- The database stores:
- inventory objects/items
- security roles
- resource pools
- performance data
- other critical information for vCenter Server
The vCenter Server system is required to be a member of an Active Directory Domain. True or False?
What user accounts and groups can be used by a vCenter Server system?
Active Directory user accounts and groups if vCenter Server system is an AD member server.
Local server user accounts and groups if vCenter Server system is a stand alone Windows server.
What OS platform is vCenter Server system security built on?
Name 8 vCenter Server system components.
1. Active Directory Interface 2. Additional services (eg... Update Manager, Vmware Converter, Guided Consolidation) 3. Core Services 4. Database Interface 5. Distributed Services 6. ESX/ESXi Management 7. User Access Control 8. vSphere API
Name 8 of the vCenter Server system "core services" functions.
1. virtual machine management 2. resources management 3. task scheduling 4. statistics logging 5.alarms and events management 6. virtual machine provisioning 7. host configuration 8. virtual machine configuration
Name 6 of the vCenter Server system distributed services.
1. VMware vMotion 2. VMware Storage vMotion 3. VMware DRS 4. Storage I/O Control 5. VMware HA 6. Fault Tolerance.
Give 3 examples of the vCenter Server system "additional services" component and indicate which if any require additional licenses.
1. VMware vCenter update manager 2.VMware cCenter Converter 3. VMware vCenter Guided Consolidation.
None require additional lecenses.
What does the vCenter Server system "Database interface" component provide access to?
The Database interface provides access to the vCenter Server database.
How does the vCenter Server system "ESX/ESXi management" component provide access to the ESX/ESXi hosts?
vCenter Server provided access to the ESX/ESXi hosts through a vCenter SERVER AGENT.
What does the vCenter Server system "Active Directory interface" component provide access to?
The Active Directory interface provides access to the domanin user accounts.
What does the vCenter Server system "vSphere API" component in combination with the vSphere SDK provide?
VMware vSphere API provides an interface for writing custom applications that access vCenter Server functionality.
What does the vCenter Server system "User access control" component provide?
Ther user access control component allows the vCenter Server administrtor to define user privileges/permissions to access objects in the inventory.
What two components do optional vCenter Server modules (plug-ins) include?
Optional vCenter Server modules include a server and client component.
When do optional vCenter Server modules (plug-ins) become available for download and installation to the vSphere Client?
After the server component of a module is installed, it is registered with vCenter Server, and the client component (a plug-in) is available to vSphere Client for download.
How might the interface of the vSphere Client be alter after a plug-in is installed?
After a plug-in is installed, the vSphere Client interface might be alter by adding views, tabs, toolbar buttons, and menu options related to the enhanced functionality.
Optional vCenter Server vSphere Client plug-ins can be installed any time before or after vCenter Server has been installed? True or False?
If False, Why?
False. Optional vCenter Server vSphere Client plug-ins can only be installed any time AFTER vCenter Server has been installed.
Optional vCenter Server vSphere modules and the vCenter Server system must be upgraded at the same time. True or False?
If False, Why?
False. Modules and the vCenter Server system can be upgraded independently.
vCenter Server can run on a physical machine or virtual machine. True or False?
If False, Why?
Provide at least two advantages and two disadvantages of running vCenter Server on a physical machine.
Advantages: 1. vCenter Server is not susceptible to potential outage in the vSphere enviornment. 2. vCenter Server performance is limited ONLY by the capabilities of the server hardware.
Disadvantages: 1. a dedicated physical server class computer is required. 2. vCenter Server machine resource (CPU, memory etc...) upgrades can potentailly cost more and require longer down time.
Provide at least two advantages and two disadvantage of running vCener Server on a virtual machine.
Advantages: 1. A dedicated physical server class computer is NOT required, vCenter Server can run in a virtual machine on the same ESX/ESXi host as other virtual machines. 2. vCenter Server machine resource (CPU, memory etc...) upgrade cost is greatly reduced and requires much less if any down time. 3. vCenter Server system can benefit from VMware Distributed services eg... VMware HA can provided high availablitiy for the vCenter Server system.
Disdvantages: 1. vCenter Server is susceptible to potential outages in the vSphere enviornment. 2. vCenter Server performance can potentially be limited by the capabilities of the ESX/ESXi host's server shared hardware resurces.
What are the vCenter Server system hardware requirements (physical or virtual machine)?
- Two 64-bit CPUs or one 64-bit dual-core processor
- 2.0 GHz or higher Intel or AMD processor*
- 3GB RAM minimum*
- 3GB Disk storage minimum*
- 10/100 Ethernet network connection minimum (Gigabit recommended)
*higher if database runs on the same machine
What are the vCenter Server system supported OS software requirements (physical or virtual machine)?
- Windows XP Pro 64-bit (not recommended for production - but possible Cert exam question answer)
- Windows Server 2003 64-bit
- Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-bit
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter 64-bit
- Windows Server 2008 R2
The vCenter Server system prcessor, memory, and disk minimum requirements decrease if the database runs on another server. True or False?
If False, Why?
False. The vCenter Server system prcessor, memory, and disk minimum requirements do not include additional database requirements. Requirements will be higher than the minimum requirements if the database runs on the server.
To manage the maximum supported 1000 hosts and 10,000 powered-on virtual machines the vCenter Server system should have how many processor cores, memory and disk space?
- 8 processor cores
- 16GB memory
- 10GB disk space
If using Microsoft SQL Server Express, the vCenter Server system must have up to how much free disk space to decompress the installation archive?
vCenter Server system must have up to 2GB free disk space to decompress the installation archive
For each vCenter Server system instance connection to a database is optional. True or False?
If False, Why?
False. Each vCener Server system instance must have a connection to a database to organize all the configuration data.
What are the vCenter Server system supported databases?
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express*
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2**
- Oracle 10g and 11g
- IBM DB2 9.5
- *Maximum of 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines.
- **VMware vSphere 4.1 update 1 only
What is the default/bundled vCenter Server database?
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
The default/bundled vCenter Server database is intended to be used for product evaluations, demos and small deployments of up to how many hosts and virtual machines?
5 hosts and 50 virtual machines.
VMware recommends using a single database for Update Manager and vCenter Server. True or False?
If False, Why?
False. VMware recommends using one database for Update Manager and another database for vCenter Server.*
* For smaller deployments, you might not need a separate database for Update Manager.
Name two tools VMware provides to help estimate the vCenter Server database size requirement.
- 1. VMware vCenter Server 4.x Database Sizing Calculator.
- 2. The vCenter Server built-in what-if calculator.
How would you navigate to the built-in what-if database calculator in the vSphere Client?
In the vSphere Client select Administration > vCenter Server Settings in the menu bar and click Statistices in the left pane.
What prerequistes should you make sure are met before installing vCenter Server?
- vCenter Server hardware and software requirements
- vCenter Server system belongs to a domain rather than a workgroup
- Create a vCenter Server database
- Assign a static IP address and DNS resolvable host name
What should you make sure does not exist between vCenter Server and the host it will manage if you deploy vCenter Server behind a firewall?
Make sure there is no NAT between vCenter Server and the hosts it will manage.
Name the 5 VMware software/optional modules "VMware Product Installers" the VMware vCenter Installer allows you to install.
- vCenter Server
- vCenter Client
- vCenter Update Manager
- vCenter Converter
- vCenter Guided Consolidation
What data does the vCenter Server Installation wizard ask for?
- User name and organization
- License key
- Database information (default database or existing supported database*)
- SYSTEM account information (SYSTEM account or user-specified account** for running vCenter Server service)
- Destination folder
- Standalone or join a Linked Mode group
- Ports (443, 80, 902, 8080, 8443, 60099, 389, 636)
- JVM memory (100+ hosts = 1,024 MB, 400+ hosts = 4,096 MB)
- *If you choose to use an existing SQL Server database, you must create a data source name (DSN).
- **The only requirement is that the user-specified account must be an Administrator on the local machine.
Name 5 new services, including their functions, that appear on a Windows server after vCenter Server system is installed.
- VMware Mount Service for VirtualCenter (guest operating system customization ei.. cloning, deploying from template)
- VMware vCenter Orchestrator Configuration (workflow engine for automating existing manual tasks)
- VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices (Allows configuration of vCenter management services)
- VMware VirtualCenter Server (provides centralized management of VMs and ESX/ESXi hosts)
- VMware VCMSDS (Provides vCenter Server LDAP directory services)
The VMware Tools Service and VMware Upgrade Helper services are installed during the vCenter Server installation. True or False?
If False, Why?
- The VMware Tools Service - is installed when VMware Tools is installed into the guest operating system of a virtual machine.
- VMware Upgrade Helper - a service that VMware Tools uses whenever a virtual machine's hardware is upgraded to a newer version.
What is the vSphere Client?
The vSphere Client is an interface used to connect remotely to vCenter Server and ESX/ESXi hosts from a Wndows system.
What are two ways to install the vSphere Client?
- 1. Use the VMware vCenter Installer.
- 2. Download the client from the main Web page of the vCenter Server system.
The vSphere Client can provide console access to virtual machines. True or False?
If False, Why?
True. TCP Port 903
What information is required to be entered on the vSphere Client login screen in order to access the vCenter Server system?
- Host name or IP address of the vCenter Server system.
- Windows account and password (local account or domain account).
What are the three vCenter Server plug-ins that are installed and enabled by default?
- 1. vCenter Storage Monitoring - Allows vCenter Server to monitor and report on storage. This plug-in adds the host's Storage Views tab to the vSphere Client interface.
- 2. vCenter Service Status - This plug-in adds the vCenter Service Status icon to the Administration panel on the vSphere Client's Home page. To display the health status, go to Home > Administration > vCenter Service Status.
- 3. vCenter Hardware Status - Allows vCenter Server to display the hardware status of hosts (CIM monitoring). This plug-in adds the host's Hardware Status tab to the vSphere Client interface.
When do plug-ins other than the three vCenter Server plug-ins appear in the vSphere Client Plug-in Manager for download and installation?
After the server component of an additional vCenter Server module is installed on the vCenter Server system.
How can you open/access the vSphere Client Plug-in Manager?
In the vSphere Client menu bar select Plug-ins > Manage Plug-ins.