Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
__ are body structures composed of two or more different tissues.
What makes up the integumentary system?
skin and accessory organs (hair, glands, nails)
__ line body cavities that lack openings to the outside.
1) What do they line? What do they cover?
2) __ are made up of __ and __ and secrete __ that acts as a __
- Serous membranes
- thorax/ abdomen/ cover the organs within these cavities
- serous membranes/ epithelium/ loose connective tissue/ serous fluid/ lubricant
__ line the cavities and openings tha tlead to the outside of thebody, including the __ and __ cavitites, and openings of the __, __, __, and __ systems.
1) They consist of __ and __ with specialized cells that secrete __.
- Mucuous membranes
- nasal/ oral/ respiratory/ urinary/ digestive/ reproductive
- epithelium and connective tissue/ mucus.
__ line the joint cavities.
1) These membranes consist of __ only that secretes lubricating __.
- Synovial membranes
- connective tissue
- synovial fluid
The __ consists of the __.
The __ is a large organ responsible for __, __, __, __, __, and __.
- maintaining homeostasis through temperature regulation
- protection of underlying tissues
- retardation of water loss
- housing sensory receptors
- synthesizing certain chemcials
- excreting wastes
The skin consists of an __ and a __, connected to underlying tissue by the __.
- outer epidermis
- subcutaneous layer (hypodermis)
- The epidermis is made up of __ and __.
- The layer of __ cells (__), which lies at the base of the __, is well- nourished by __.
- Cells are pushed __ as new cells formed, and become __ as they die.
- The epidermis is important because what?
- __, which lie deep in the __ and underlying __, produce a pigment called __ that protects deeper cells from teh sun's ultraviolet rays.
- stratified squamous epithelium and lacks blood vessles
- reproducing cells (the stratum basale)/ epidermis/ dermal blood vessles
- outward/ keratinized
- it protects against water loss, mechanical injury, chemicals, microorganisms
- melanocytes/ epidermis/ dermis/ melanin
1) Skin color results from a combination of __, __, and __ factors.
2) __ differences in skin color result from differing amoutns of __ and in the size of __.
3) Exposure to sunlight causes __ of skin as __ production __.
4) __ within __ affects skin color.
- 1) genetic, environmental, and physiological
- 2) genetic/ melanin/ melanin granules
- 3) darkening/ melanin/ increases
- 4) circulation/ dermal blood vessels
1) the dermis binds the __ to underlying tissues.
2) The dermis consists of __ with __ and __ within a __.
3) __ carry __ to upper layers of skin and help to __.
4) The dermis also contains __, __, __, __, and __.
- connective tissue/ collagen/ elastic fibers/ gel-like ground substance
- dermal blood vessels/ nutrients/ regulate temperature
- nerve fibers/ sensory fibers/ hair follicles/ sebaceous glands/ sweat glands
1) The subcutaneous layer (__) is composed of __ and __.
2) What does it do? What does it contain?
3) No __ exists between t he __ and __.
- 1) hypodermis/ loose connective tissue/ insulating adipose tissue
- 2) binds the skin to underlying organs and contains blood vessels that supply the skin
- 3) sharp boundaries/ dermis/ subcutaneous layer
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview