The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the two types of antipsychotic drugs?
Classical antipsychotics remove what? What is an example of this drug?
- positive symptoms associated with schizophrenia such as agitation, delusions & hallucination
- Chlorpromazine (Thorazine)
Atypical antipsychotics remove what? What is an example of this drug?
- blocks receptors for dopamine and seratonin
- removes negative symptoms associated with schizophrenia like apathy, jumpled thoughts, difficulty interating with people.
- Clozapine (Clozaril)
How do antianxiety drugs work and give two examples.
- elevate levels of GABA to depress central nervous system and anxiety
- Xanax & Ativan
Antidepressants do what? 3 examples:
- SSRI- Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors
- improve mood by elevating the levels of serotonin by inhibiting reuptake.
Which type of salt is used to stabalize manic episodes in bipolar disorder and moderates levels of norepinephrine and glutamate nuerotransmitters?
What is the name of the shock therapy used on severly depressed patients?
Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
Which is the therapy that uses a pulsating magnetic coil over the frontal regions of the brain to treat depression?
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)