The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the concept of Courtship?
The process by which a commitment to marriage is developed.
What is the concept of blind marriage?
Neither partners see eachother untill the day of their wedding.
What is the concept of forced marriage?
The bride and groom are forced to marry against their will.
What is the concept of green card marriage?
When a immigrant exchanges marriage to a US citizen for a green card.
What is the concept of dowry?
Goods or money that a woman brings to the marriage.
What is the concept of egalitarian partnership?
Both partners play similar roles.
The process of meetiong people socially for the purpose of forming a relationship.
Six functions of dating
- 3.Intimacy and sex
- 4. Mate selection
- 6.Status achievement
Their nearness to you in place and time meeting people at sch, wrk etc.
Cultural expectation that a person marries with in his own social group.
Marrying outside your family group and not practice sex with a sibling.
One sex has a more limited pool of eligivle marriage candidates that the other
tendency for men to marry downward in class and women marry upward with respect education occupation success
Three stge filitering process
- 1. Stimulus -physical attraction
- 2.Values- individual values
- 3.Roles - role compatiblity
Relationship driven couple and event driven couple
period of time that begins with the marriage propasal and a formal announcement that the couple plans to be married.
websites videos of others talking and sharing videos of yourself
Arrange introduction for a fee
Identity untill your ready to reveal it
a physical encounter that allows possible sexual interaction without commitment.
Joined at the hip
couples that do everything together "the college marriage"
couples living together emotionally sexually involved without marriage
four reason for cohabitating
- 1.The linus blanket- hight insecurity
- 2.Emarapation- independence from their parents
- 3. Convenience- partners that need fulfilment without benefit of a traditional marriage
- 4.Testing- trial marriage engaged
Characteristics of people living together
independence sex attitute religion income education
Social tolerance female equality women working
Three stages of living together
- Blending 1 yr infactuation
- Nesting 2-3 yr dealing with house hold
- Maintaining4-3yr dealing with conflict, household frequency of sex
a dual career marriage in which each partner lives in a different geographical areal, yet the pair still maintain their commitment to their family.
Main reasons why grandparents become the caregivers of their grandchildren.
a unit made up of two people or more people who are related by blood, marriage or adoption and who live together.
non family household
one person who lives alone or two people who live with unrelated individuals within a unit.
a pattern by whih a person organizes his or her living arangements in relation to others
among heterosexuals the never married widowed or divorced
Five classifications of singles
- 1.Free floating single- unnattached and dates randomly
- 2.Open couple single- has a partner but is open to others
- 3.Closed couple single- faithful partner that is not open to others
- 4.Commited single- Commited to their partner and is engaged to be married-maintained fidelity
- 5.Accommodationist single- unnattached life, has friends but no romantic or sexual contacts.
Heteroexuality and homosexuality
Sexual inclination toward members of the opposite sex and sexual inclination toward members of the same sex.
Discrimination and Prejudice
Act of un fair treatment directed against an individual or group. An attitude or prejudging ussually negative of an individual or group.
anti prejudice- a negative attitude toward homosexuality and homosexuals
Five types of Homos
- Closed couples
- open couples
Homos differ from straight couples
Egalitarian and no family support
people who have chosen to cohabit or share each others lives in an intimate and committed relationship
status similar to marriage allowing gays to benefits enjoyed by married heteros
Types of Communal living
- College living arrangements
- Co housing communities
- Israeli farming cooperatives.
Swinging and Open sexually marriage
- a arrangement in which committed couples exchange partners to engage in purely recreational sex.
- married couple agrees that each may have emotional and sexual relations with others... and having their marriage the primary relationship
delaying having children to finish education, relationship etc
the loss of wages and wages and investments parents sacrifice by devoting time and energy to other persuits
Safe haven laws
leaving a newborn at a hospital er, fire station or other places.