Bib Lit Test 2
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Blending of religions.
God is at the head of the government
Covanent love; nothing out of obligation; Boaz protected Ruth
The closest kinsman to a deseased male. Their duties: avenge wrongful death; purchase land of kinsman with no heirs.
When widows have no heirs, the brother of the husband is OBLIGATED to marry her.
(Deed/ consequence) theology, what we do is directly related with blessings and curses
(Holy War) Mass anihilation of people God wanted people not to be in debt or reliant upon other countries.
10 Tribes; Israel; Jeroboam; went bad b/c they did not go to Jerusalem to worship and they started their own priesthood
2 tribes; Rehoboam; Judah
Rehoboam and Jeroboam
Rehoboam inherited the throne from Solomon and Jeroboam wanted Reh to lesson taxes. Reh searched out wisdom from elders and they said that lowering taxes would be a smart thing to do. Then Reh searched out young men and they said that Reh needed to raise taxes. Reh followed his friends and Jeroboam took 10 tribes under his rule. 732 BC
586 B C
Destruction of the temple and Babylonian Captivity
What roles did the judges serve during the conquest?
- -Military Leaders
- -Theological education of the people
- -Render legal decisions
What was the reaccurent theme of Judges?
Everyone does what is right in his own mind
Descibe the cycle of Judges
Peace > everyone does what is right in his own eyes > Israel sins > God raises up a nation to defeat Israel > Israel cries out and repents to God > God raises up a military leader to save Israel > Peace
Why did Elimelech, Mahlon, and Kilion die in Moab?
Because they had left the land of blessing
Who is Boaz?
One of Elimelech's kinsman redeemers. (not the closest one)
What are the wisdom books of the Bible?
Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, Ecclesiastes, Some Psalms
Why is Solomon normally associated with the wisdom books?
Discuss the role of education in Israel
I don't know. I would guess that it was based on religion and that it was done in the synagoges or in the home.
List the reaseons for human suffering.
- 1. Punishment (we deserve it)
- 2. Vicarious (suffering for the sake of someone else)
- 3. Suffering for the sake of correction of a behavior
- 4. Suffering so that you may help minister to someone later
- 5. Proabitionary (or God is testing you)
- 6. Suffering becasue it is inevitable, becasue it is a fallen world.
List the various characteristice of wisdom literature.
- Language: Righteouss, wicked, simple, fool; blessed is...
- Subject Matter: 2 ways of life described and compared; simple comparisons
- Structure: Acrostics
Identify four messages from the book of Job.
- 1. We have to admit the inadequecy of our wisdom
- 2. We have to be prepared to live in mystery
- 3. We cannot accuse God of injustice
- 4. We have to submit to God with trust
Discuss and describe the false theology of the satan and Job's friends. Why is this a false theological view?
- 1. If Job is blessed than he will be faithful.
- 2. If Job is not blessed he will be unfaithful.
- 3. If Job is faithful then he will be blessed.
- 4. If Job is not faithful then he will not be blessed.
- -These are all false, because it makes God's actions dependent on man's deeds. This is called retribution theology.
Identify and discuss the three different interpretations of Song of Songs.
- -Allagorical: No real wedding only pointing towards Christ's relationship with the church OR God's relationship with Israel.
- -Literal: There was only a real wedding and no foreshadowing. (Purpose being to show an ideal marriage)
- -Typological: Both historical and foreshadowing importance.
In Ecclesiastes the writer tries to find the purpose and meaning of life in what 5 areas.
What were the colnclusions that the author of Ecclesiates gleaned from his research.
- Death is imminent
- Work needs purpose and humans need work
- Life is confusing
- God is soveriegn
- We have to fear God
- God will balance out inequalities
- Fearing and living life for God is the purpose of life eventhough it is mysterious
Psalm of Lament
Psalm 3 or 5 Rises out of author's crisis and searches out God to solve it
Psalm of thanksgiving
Psalm 18 This was written after whatever event occurs and is thanking God
- Messianic Psalm 110
- Literal: Psalm 20
- Typological: Psalm 2
Types of Parallelism
Iasiah 11:13 abc//c'b'a'
Idea introduced in the first line and then dropped that the reader is expected to generalize throughout the whole poem. (i.e. Blessed is...)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview