mgmt 3003 chap 8
Card Set Information
mgmt 3003 chap 8
mgmt 3003 chap
mgmt 3003 chap 8
when you need to deliver messages you have
1. convey the bad news
2. gain acceptance for it
3. maintain as much goodwill as possible with your audience
4. to maintain a good image for your organization
5. if appropiate , to reduce or eliminate the need for future correspondence on the matter.
3 step writing process for negative messges
1. PLANNING NEGATIVE MESSAGES
selecting right medium.
direct or indirect approach
- opens with the bad news proceeds to the reasons for the situation or the decision and ends with a positive statement aimed at maintaing a good relationship with audience.
INDIRECT APPROACH -
opns with the reasons behind the bad news before presenting the bad new itselft.
WRITING NEGATIVE MESSAGES
write clearly and sensitively.
COMPLETING NEGATIVE MESSAGES
clear, complete, concise
DIRECT APPROACH FOR NEGATIVE MESSAGES
bad news up front, folows with reason, closing statement
open with a clear statement
provide reasons and additional info
close on positve note
USING INDIRECT APPROACH FOR NEGATIVE MESSAGES
buffer, explains reasons, clearly state negative news, and closes with positive
opening with a
- a newutal, nonvontroversial statement that is closely related to the point of message.establishes common ground with reader.
providing reasons and additional info
continuing with a clear statement of bad news
convey 3 negative info clearly and kindly
1. deephasize bad news
2.use a conditional statement
3. emphasize what you can do or have done rather than what you cannot do.
closing on positive note
SENDING NEGATIVE MESSAGES ON ROUTINE BUSINESS MATTERS
refusing routine requests
handling bad news about transactions
1.modify the customers expectations
2.explain how you plan to resolve the situation
3.repair whatever damage might have been done to the business relationship
refusing claim and requests for adjustments
defamation- false statement that damages someones rep.
1. statement is false
2. the language injures the persons rep
3. the statement has been communicated to others.
SENDING NEGATIVE EMPLOYMENT MESSAGES
indirect approach usually advised
refusing requests for recommnedation letters
-dont deny it , give reader whats applicable
rejecting job applicants
-ignoring application builds ill will and can harm your company's rep.
giving negative performance reviews
sending negative organizational news
ex: announcements of workforce reductions, crisis communication reguarding enviromental incidents, workplace accidents, other traumatic situation
RESPONDING TO NEGATIVE INFO IN A SOCIAL MEDIA
1.Engage early , engage often
-done before the negative info appears to engage with stakeholders
Monitor the conversation
-use RSS feeds , automated reputation analysis, and other technology to see what people are saying
evaluate negative messages
-dont fight back immediately. Evaluate the source, the tone , and the content of the message and then choose a response that fits the situation.
-after you assesed negative message, make apporiate response based on overall public relations plan
-important points to consider when convey negative news
1.match your approach to situation
2/ consider unique need of each group
3. minimize the element of surprise whenever possible so that affected groups to prepare and respond.
4. give yourself as much time as possible to plan and manage a response
5.make sure youre ready to answers expected
6. look positve angels but do exude false optimism
7.seek expert advice
8. use multilple media to reach out to affected audiences.