mgmt 3003 chap 8
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
when you need to deliver messages you have five goals
- 1. convey the bad news
- 2. gain acceptance for it
- 3. maintain as much goodwill as possible with your audience
- 4. to maintain a good image for your organization
- 5. if appropiate , to reduce or eliminate the need for future correspondence on the matter.
3 step writing process for negative messges
- 1. PLANNING NEGATIVE MESSAGES
- selecting right medium.
- direct or indirect approach
- DIRECT APPROACH- opens with the bad news proceeds to the reasons for the situation or the decision and ends with a positive statement aimed at maintaing a good relationship with audience.
- INDIRECT APPROACH -opns with the reasons behind the bad news before presenting the bad new itselft.
- Step 2: WRITING NEGATIVE MESSAGES write clearly and sensitively.
- step 3: COMPLETING NEGATIVE MESSAGES clear, complete, concise
DIRECT APPROACH FOR NEGATIVE MESSAGES
bad news up front, folows with reason, closing statement
- open with a clear statement
- provide reasons and additional info
- close on positve note
USING INDIRECT APPROACH FOR NEGATIVE MESSAGES
buffer, explains reasons, clearly state negative news, and closes with positive
- opening with a buffer- a newutal, nonvontroversial statement that is closely related to the point of message.establishes common ground with reader.
- providing reasons and additional info
- continuing with a clear statement of bad newsconvey 3 negative info clearly and kindly
- 1. deephasize bad news
- 2.use a conditional statement
- 3. emphasize what you can do or have done rather than what you cannot do.
- closing on positive note
SENDING NEGATIVE MESSAGES ON ROUTINE BUSINESS MATTERS
- refusing routine requests
- handling bad news about transactions
- 3 goals
- 1.modify the customers expectations
- 2.explain how you plan to resolve the situation
- 3.repair whatever damage might have been done to the business relationship
- refusing claim and requests for adjustments defamation- false statement that damages someones rep.
- 1. statement is false
- 2. the language injures the persons rep
- 3. the statement has been communicated to others.
SENDING NEGATIVE EMPLOYMENT MESSAGES
indirect approach usually advised
- refusing requests for recommnedation letters-dont deny it , give reader whats applicable
- rejecting job applicants-ignoring application builds ill will and can harm your company's rep.
- giving negative performance reviews
- terminating employment
sending negative organizational news
ex: announcements of workforce reductions, crisis communication reguarding enviromental incidents, workplace accidents, other traumatic situation
RESPONDING TO NEGATIVE INFO IN A SOCIAL MEDIA
- 1.Engage early , engage often-done before the negative info appears to engage with stakeholders
- 2.Monitor the conversation-use RSS feeds , automated reputation analysis, and other technology to see what people are saying
- 3.evaluate negative messages-dont fight back immediately. Evaluate the source, the tone , and the content of the message and then choose a response that fits the situation.
- 4.respond apporiately -after you assesed negative message, make apporiate response based on overall public relations plan
-important points to consider when convey negative news
- 1.match your approach to situation
- 2/ consider unique need of each group
- 3. minimize the element of surprise whenever possible so that affected groups to prepare and respond.
- 4. give yourself as much time as possible to plan and manage a response
- 5.make sure youre ready to answers expected
- 6. look positve angels but do exude false optimism
- 7.seek expert advice
- 8. use multilple media to reach out to affected audiences.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview