Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Thoughts about suicide are impulsive and temporary BUT
death or debilitating injury is _______?
When a teen talks about committing sucide (whether it's done in a serious, casual, or even humorous way) he or she must be taken _______.
Suicidal people believe that their death will not matter to _______.
When you are with someone who appears to be suicidal, show you care by following these 3 steps.
- 1. initiate a meaningful conversation
- (show interest and compassion)
- 2. show support and ask questions
- (be understanding, but state that this
- is not the answer, and that most
- people who survive express gratitude
- for surviving)
- 3. try to persuade the person to seek
- (counselor, trusted adult)
Why would a cluster sucide happen?
- Pacts or agreements,
- response to suicide of friend,
- suicide has be sensationalized.
List some nonverbal signs of a person thinking of committing suicide.
- obession with death
- withdrawal from friends
- dramatic changes in personality, hygiene,
- or appearance
- impulsive/irrational behavior,
- sense of guilt,
- deterioration in schoolwork/recreation,
- give away personal belongings,
- substance abuse,
- complain of stomachaches, headaches,
- persistent boredom/indifference,
- violent, rebellious, or run away,
- intolerance for praise or rewards
List verbal signs of a person going to commit suicide.
- Direct statement:
- I want, I wish
- Indirect statements:
- I won't have to
- I just want
- They'll be sorry
- I can't take it
- I won't be
- What's the use
- Writing poems, songs, diary entries
- Suicide threats