Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Thoughts about suicide are impulsive and temporary BUT
death or debilitating injury is _______?
When a teen talks about committing sucide (whether it's done in a serious, casual, or even humorous way) he or she must be taken _______.
Suicidal people believe that their death will not matter to _______.
When you are with someone who appears to be suicidal, show you care by following these 3 steps.
- 1. initiate a meaningful conversation
- (show interest and compassion)
- 2. show support and ask questions
- (be understanding, but state that this
- is not the answer, and that most
- people who survive express gratitude
- for surviving)
- 3. try to persuade the person to seek
- (counselor, trusted adult)
Why would a cluster sucide happen?
- Pacts or agreements,
- response to suicide of friend,
- suicide has be sensationalized.
List some nonverbal signs of a person thinking of committing suicide.
- obession with death
- withdrawal from friends
- dramatic changes in personality, hygiene,
- or appearance
- impulsive/irrational behavior,
- sense of guilt,
- deterioration in schoolwork/recreation,
- give away personal belongings,
- substance abuse,
- complain of stomachaches, headaches,
- persistent boredom/indifference,
- violent, rebellious, or run away,
- intolerance for praise or rewards
List verbal signs of a person going to commit suicide.
- Direct statement:
- I want, I wish
- Indirect statements:
- I won't have to
- I just want
- They'll be sorry
- I can't take it
- I won't be
- What's the use
- Writing poems, songs, diary entries
- Suicide threats