Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is the effect of inoperability of a support system on the operability of a supported system IAW LCO 3.0.6?
- When a supported system LCO is not met solely due to a support system LCO not being met, the conditions and required actions associated with this supported system are not required to be entered. Only support system LCO actions are required
- -Must do an evaluation, if determined to have lost the safety function, then must perform actions and conditions
Equipment removed from service or declared inoperable to comply with actions may be returned to service solely to demonstrate its operability or operability of other equipment
What are the Technical Specification provisions for Special Test Exemptions (STE) IAW LCO 3.0.7?
STE LCOs in each applicable LCO section allow specified tech spec requirements to be changed to permit performance of special tests and operations. Compliance with STE LCOs is optional. When a STE LCO is desired to be met but is not met, the actions of the STE LCO shall be met. When a STE LCO is not desired to be met, entry into a Mode or other specified condition in the applicability shall only be made IAW the other applicable specifications.
What is LCO 3.0.7?
Special test exemptions (STE) LCOs in each LCO section allow tech specs to be changed for special tests and operations.
- Keff >/= 0.99
- %RTP </= 5%
- HOT STANDBY
- keff < 0.99
- >/= 300oF Tave
- When an LCO is not met and the associated actions are not met, an associated action is not provided, or if directed by the associated actions, the plant shall be placed in a MODE in which the LCO is not applicable.
- MODE 3
- -7 hours
- MODE 4
- -31 hours
- MODE 5
- -37 hours
- Only applicable in MODES 1,2,3,4
- When an LCO is not met, entry into a MODE or other specified condition in the applicability shall only be made:
- -when associated actions to be entered permit continued operation in the mode or other specified condition in the applicablility for an unlimited period of time
- -performance of a risk assessment
- This shall not prevent shutdown of the plant
What is the definition of Safety Limit?
Limits upon important process variables that are found to be necessary to reasonably protect the integrity of certain of the physical barriers that guard against the uncontrolled release of radioactivity.
What are the actions required for violating a Safety Limit?
- If DNBR or peak linear heat rate are violated
- -restore compliance
- -and be in Mode 3 with in 1 hour
- If PCS pressure (2750 psia) is violated
- -in Mode 1 or 2
- --restore compliance
- --be in Mode 3 with in 1 hour
- -in Modes 3,4,5,6
- -restore compliance with in 5 minutes
What is the authorized steady state reactor power level?
- Upon discovery of a failure to meet an LCO, the required actions of the associated conditions shall be met, except as provided in LCO 3.0.5 and LCO 3.0.6
- If the LCO is met or is no longer applicable prior to the expiration of the completion times, completion of the required actions is not required, unless otherwise stated.
What are the palisades safety limits?
- Rx core safety limits (Modes 1 and 2)
- -Peak Linear Heat Rate (LHR) </= 21.0 kw/ft
- PCS pressure safety limit (Modes 1-6)
- -</= 2750 psia
- COLD SHUTDOWN
- keff < 0.99
- Tave </= 200oF
What are surveillance requirements?
Requirements relating to test, calibration, or inspection to assure that the necessary quality of systems and components is maintained, that facility operation will be with in safety limits, and that the limiting conditions for operation will be met.
- POWER OPERATION
- Keff >/= 0.99
- %RTP > 5%
What is shutdown margin?
- Instantaneous amount of reactivity by which the reactor is subcritical or would be subcritical from its present condition assuming:
- -all full length control rods inserted except the highest worth rod remains fully withdrawn
What are Limiting Safety System Settings?
Settings for automatic protective devices related to those variables having significant safety functions
What is the definition of Immediately?
The required action should be pursued with out delay and in a controlled manner
What is Operable-Operability?
Capable of performing its specified safety function and all supporting components are capable of performing their related support functions.
What is Rated Thermal Power?
- Total reactor core heat transfer rate to the primary coolant.
- -2565.4 Mwt
LCOs shall be met during Modes or other specified conditions in the applicability, except as provided in LCOs 3.0.2 and 3.0.7
What are the time requirements for LCO 3.0.3?
- When an LCO is not met and the associated actions are not met, an associated action is not provided, or if directed by the associated actions, the plant shall be placed in a mode or other specified condition in which the LCO is not applicable. Action shall be initiated with in 1 hour to place the plant, as applicable in:
- -Mode 3 within 7 hours
- -Mode 4 within 31 hours
- -Mode 5 within 37 hours
What is a CORE ALTERATION?
Movement of any fuel, sources, or control rods, with the reactor vessel head removed and fuel in the vessel.
What is a CHANNEL CHECK?
Qualitative assessment, by observation, of channel behavior during operation
What is a SUBSEQUENT INOPERABILITY?
A subsequent failure to meet an established perfomance criterion in an LCO that is already not met.
When may you deviate from a license condition or Tech Spec? Who must authorize this?
- Only when needed to protect the public health and safety and no action consistent with license conditions and tech specs that can provide adequate or equivalent protection is immediately apparent.
- National security emergency
- Authorized by a licensed SRO.
- HOT SHUTDOWN
- keff <0.99
- 300oF > Tave > 200oF
- One or more reactor head closure bolts less than fully tensioned.
What is a CHANNEL FUNCTIONAL TEST?
Injection of signals into the sensor as close as possible to verify operability.
What are the actions required when a LCO or ORM spec is not met IAW LCO 3.0.2. and 3.0.5 or ORM specs 3.0.2 and 3.0.5?
- LCO 3.0.2
- -upon discovery of failure to meet a LCO, the required actions of the associated conditions shall be met, except as provided in LCO 3.0.5 and LCO 3.0.6
- --if LCO is met or no longer is applicable prior to expiration of the completion time, completion of required actions are not required, unless otherwise stated.
- LCO 3.0.5.
- -equipment may be returned to service to demonstrate operability
What is a LIMITING CONDITION FOR OPERATION (LCO)?
Lowest functional capability or performance levels of equipment required for safe operation of the facility
What is a HEAVY LOAD?
A load, other than a fuel assembly, which weighs more than 1300lbs.
What is TIME OF DISCOVERY?
The time at which a structure, system, or component is first known to not meet established performance standards.
What is THERMAL POWER?
The total reactor core heat transfer rate to the primary coolant.
What is AXIAL SHAPE INDEX (ASI)?
The power located in the lower minus the power in the upper, over the lower plus the upper (using excore NIs)
What is AXIAL OFFSET (AO)?
The power generated in the lower half of the core less the power generated in the upper half of the core, divided by the sum of the 2 (using incores)
What is QUADRANT POWER TILT?
The maximum positive ratio of the power generated in any quadrant minus the average quadrant power, to the average quadrant power
PCS boron concentration >/= 1720 ppm Boron and sufficient to assure the reactor is subcritical by >/= 5% Δρ with all control rods withdrawn.