Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
who is Francis Hopkinson
1st America-born composer
what instrument did Thomas Jefferson play?
why did puritans have problems with music?
they thought god is the only one who should be seducing you
who is Willima Billings?
what piece did he compose?
- American hymn composer
American national anthem was originally a...
what was the significance of the piece Warren?
music helped people get over deaths
3 functions of military music
- give signals and pass orders in battle
- regulate the military day in camp/quarters
- excite cheerfulness in soldiers
typical form of a march
Yankee doodle was played when?
after Americans won something
Frank Shubert composed...
- North American Folk Tune
- sounds like Yankee Doodle
origin of Yankee Doodle
- 17th century Dutch
- making fun of British colonists
Yankee Doodle is known as what in England?
lyrics of Yankee Doodle Dandy
riding a pony:
stuck a feather in the hat:
- riding pony: not rich enough
- stuck a feather in the hat: trying to be fashionable with native American thing ()
- macaroni: can't speak well
who was Napoleon's favorite composer?
Marche Iugubre is what type of march?
France used to celebrate their king, but that changed after...
- the French Revolution
- celebration of unity of republic
tempi of French Revolution marches
The Internationale's lyrics were written by
The Internationale was written as
a revolutionary song against German monarchy
national anthem of any communism party was
Igor Stravinsky's March From Trois Pieces Faciles sounds like
a horror film music
Billy Baskette composed
Good-bye Broadway, Hello France!
significance of Good-bye Broadway, Hello France!
- join the army!
- pay the debt by helping the revolution
- spread the liberty
who wrote Over There?
George M. Cohan
significance of Over There
- we, Americans, help the French
- for soldiers to sing
difference between sommunism and socialism
- communism: classless society. utopia
- socialism: state of society reaching communism
who is John Heartfield?
made photo montages commenting what's happening
Hanns Eisler wrote what kind of music
take an ordinary contenc and make it not familiar
Love Song of a Widower
who wrote it?
what is it about?
- Hanns Eisler
- a man looking for a new wife
- poet interested in ordinary peopel music
why was Hitler so successful?
he included everyone in his campaign
the Nurenberg Laws
racial laws by Nazis
difference between fascism and socialism/communism
- sommunism murdered political enemies
- Nazism murdered based on biology
what was special about Jewish passports?
- women: middle name Sarah
- man: middle name Isreal
how did Nazis think of Arnold Schoenberg?
name some of the people who were degenerated
- Arnold Schoenberg
- Hanns Eisler
- Alban Berg
- Anton Webern
- Igor Stravisnky
- structure that all German "pure" music followed
musicians who made career in Nazis
- Herbert von Karajan (conductor)
- Carl Orff (composer)
what did Richard Strauss think about Nazis?
he didn't see anything wrong with it
name some of the people who exiled to US
- Hannah Arendt
- Eduard Steuermann
- Autur Schnabel
- Arturo Toscannini
- Albert Einstein
- Paul Hindemith
name some of the people who exiled to Hollywood
- Charlie Chaplin
- Archold Schoenberg
- Igor Stravisnky
- Theodor W. Adorno
Theodor W. Adorno
- Dialectic of Enlightenment
Dialectic of Enlightenment
- described what had happened to Nazi Germany
- culture and intelligence is NOT a defense against crime
end of wins of Nazis
where one of the concentration camp was located
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview