Syntax File F1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
describes grammatical system concerned with correspondences or 'mapping' between thematic roles and grammatical relations
agent role (if present) must be linked to the subject
restructures mapping relations between thematic roles and grammatical relations
- subject --> oblique (downgrading)
- direct object --> subject (upgrading)
subject > direct object > indirect object > oblique
- another word for passivization
- without a direct object (the D.O. has become a subject)
how language is used to convey information
periphrastic strategy (for passives)
use of auxiliary verb together with some form of the detransitivized main verb
- auxiliary can be:
- a verb of being or becoming
- ex. Harvey was/became disillusioned by the new policy
- a verb of 'receiving'
- ex. Harvey got arrested by the FBI
- a verb of motion
- ex. The mistake went unnoticed by the editor.
- a verb of experiencing
- ex. Mary thuuk (rod) chon.
- Mary touch (car) crash
- Mary was hit (by the car)
morphological strategy (for passives)
affix on verb
- Taroo-ga keisatu-ni taihos-are-ta
- Taroo-Nom police-Dat arrest-Pass-Pst
- 'Taroo was arrested by the police.'
how is oblique agent represented
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview