The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Autonomic arousal and skeletal actions come first
"I am afraid because I run away."
What are the 3 components of emotion?
- Cognitions - appraise situation
- Actions - leads to appropriate action
- Feelings - leads to feeling an emotion
What two predictions can be made from the James-Lange theory?
People with weak autonomic/skeletal responses should feel less emotion
Increasing someone's responses should enhance an emotion
Pure autonomic failure
Output from autonomic nervous system to the body fails either completely or almost completely
Unable to move facial muscles to make a smile, but this does not hinder their ability to feel happiness
Forebrain areas surrounding the thalamus that is critical for emotion
Insular cortex is activated when..
You see a disgusting picture
Behavioral Activation System (BAS)
- Activity in the left hemisphere (frontal and temportal lobes)
- Low-Moderate autonomic arousal and tendency to approach anger or happiness
Behavioral Inhibition System (BIS)
Right Hemisphere associated increasing in attention and arousal, inhibits action, and stimulates emotions such as fear and disgust.
Amount that neurons released and replaced
Enzyme that converts tryptophan into serotonin
Tame and placid characteristics
- Bind to GABA
- Induces sleepiness, block epileptic convulsions, and impair memory in the thalamus/cerebral cortex