What are the different kinds of social comparision and how does it affect self esteem when compared with in groups, someone who is very close and strangers?
- Downward social comparision - happens when you perceive that someone is worse off than you.
- Comparing to strangers - generate positive affect and raises self esteem
- Comparing to in-group - feel good due to contrast effect
- Comparing to some one close - self esteem lowered as the person is associated with inferiority (assimliation effect)
- Upward social comparision - observe someone better than yourself.
- Comparing with strangers - no effect on self esteem
- Comparing with in-group - feel depressed, results in lower self esteem
- Comparing with someone very close - raise self esteem, positive effect generated due to assimilation effect.