Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What do cognitive psychologists study?
Cognitive psychologists study the way information is processe and the mental processes involved in memory, thinking and knowing.
What were the cognitive psychologists’ revolting
against in the “Cognitive Revolution”?
What is a concept?
Mental categories used to group objects, events and characteristics
How are concepts useful to cognition?
- allow generalizations
- allow association of experiences and objects
- aid memory
- provide clues about how to react to particular object or experience
What is a prototype?
typical, ighly representative examples of concept
What are the steps to successful problem solving?
- find and frame problems
- develop good problem solving strategies
- evaluate solutions
- rethink and redefine problems and solutions
Problem solving startegies
- shortcut strategies that suggest solution to preblem
- working backwards
- means-ends analysis
- setting intermediate goals
- defining intermediate goals
strategies that guarantee solution to problem
Working Backwards (heuristic strategies)
begin with the theorem and work backwards to the axioms
Means-Ends Analysis (heuristic strategies)
break the problem into a series of sub problems which are then solved
Representativeness (heuristic strategies)
- make judgments based on the most obvious aspect of the problem
- quick, easy and often works
Availability (heuristic strategies)
solution based on the information that first comes to mind
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview