Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
When to schedule meds with antacids?
One hour before or two hours after
Antacids decrease absorption of which drugs
- quinolone abx
Population in need of high vitamin usage:
- rapid body growth
How and when to admin H2 blockers?
- With meals
- bedtime dose
- rapid IV (<2min)= cardiac dysrthy, hypotension
- Lansoprazole (PPI) (1)
- amoxicillin (2)
- clarithromycin (1)
- BID morning, evening
With prevpac, observe for?
- anaphylaxis, rash, or serum sickness like rxn
- signs of suprainfxn (candidiasis, c.diff)
- chk fecal occult, H/H
Antacids that contain __ cause diarrhea
- caution use in pt with ostomy, hemorrhoid, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis
Antacids that contain___ cause constipation
- Al, Ca
- caution use in pt w/ hx of constipation, hemorrhoid
When to admin cholestryamine?
- Before meals
- Incr fluids: 2500mL
- Admin other drugs 1 hour before or 4-6 hours after
- Sprinkle powder on liquid/semiliquid
- HMG CoA reductase inhib
- decreases warfarin (chk INR)
- decreases absorption of propranolol, thiazide diuretics
Lovastatin Adverse effects
- acute kidney failure
- CATEGORY X
- antacids dec. statin
- incr digoxin
- horme contraceptive
- dc if transaminase 3xs normal
When is Lovastatin taken?
taken without regard to meals but must be taken consistently
When to admin omeprazole?
- immed. before meals, preferrably morning
- with antacid to decrease GI distress
Increases warfarin, inc INR
- decreases warfarin
Do NOT use with antacid, H2blocker, PPI
How to admin sucralfate?
- with water 1 hour before meal and at bedtime
- taken on empty stomach
- used in caution for pt w/ renal failure
- Inc warfarine
- dry mouth
- problem in older pt w/ renal insuff
- breast swelling/pain
- Rare: neutropenia, tachycardia, agranulocytosis
- prevention of NSAID induced gastric ulcer
- off label: chronic constipation, early pregnancy termination
- Pregnancy Category X
- Black Box warning
- stomach distress, diarrhea
Misoprostol ok with antacids except for
Mg containing antacids (diarrhea)
When to admin misoprostol?
With or after meals
- Hmg CoA increases rhabdomyolysis
- incr anticoag effect w/ warfarin