Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What physics were able to describe all observed macroscopic phenomena?
"classical physics" of Newton
What kind of physics were able to describe atoms and molecules?
The chemical properties of elements and molecules depend on what?
The arrangement of electrons, electronic structure
You can only describe electronic structure using what?
Why does the "classical view" of physics not explain molecular level of chemistry?
- predicts that all electrons in all atoms collapse into nucleus
- predicts that all matter would be 100,000 times smaller than it actually is (observed)
Bohr's model of H atome depends on 2 postulates:
If an electron is in an atom then:
- It WILL be in a stable orbit (won't lose energy)
- Its angular momentum, l, can only take certain "quantized" values. n = 1, 2, 3...
What is a "quantized property"?
- Physical property restricted to take only certain values
- Example: "Quantum number", can only take integer values
h represents Planck's constant: 6.62 x10-34
6.62 x10-34 Js
Bohr used postulate number one to:
- Find relation between angular momentum and radius for stable orbit
- Find electron energy in stable orbit
Energy of electron is proportional to....
coulomb potential energy and proportional to -1/r
Bohr found for electrons in atoms:
- Their angular momentum, l, can only take certain values (orbitals)
- Their total energy can take certain values
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview