Recognize how to discover the Ideal Self in yourself and others.
Personal vision, passions, values contentment, satisfaction, energized?
Highpoints of life?
Things to accomplish before dying?
15 Years from now?
Legacy questions (backdoor to vision)
Critical incident or time when person felt most effective, energized, etc.?
Can it be better seen in a different context?
What would you do differently? (Caution if person has lots of regrets)
Your Ideal Self could be related to your strengths or talents
• “Discover Your Strengths”, “Strength-Finder 2.0” and “Strength-Based Leadership” books and Internet tests
Remember, questions and worksheets are means to an end, and NOT the end
The Ideal Self evolves overtime
- Impacted by life situations, family, health, wake-up calls, etc.
- Converges with what God created you to be through a process of transformation
When coaching a person, avoid the impulse to move too quickly to the Real Self (Discovery #2) or Planning (Discovery #3) – STAY with the Ideal Self for a time
- Why? The Ideal Self – thinking about the person God made you to be, the person that energizes you—creates positive emotional energy for addressing the Real
- Self and for change.
• Clarity often increases as we age.
- The Ideal Self is what you dream about when walking down the street, what
- you’re animated and energized by; it is often hidden