The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Recognize why church-related ministry is dangerous territory and the pastoral ministry realities.
Clergy health studies say that many clerics have “boundary issues” — defined as beingtoo easily overtaken by the urgency of other people’s needs.
Realize that IT IS UP TO YOU to guard and deepen your relationship with God.
Overworked, underpaid, and family stressors.
Explain (in 4 paragraphs) the six aspects of our assuming responsibility for soul care in our relationshipwith God; two of the paragraphs should explain the concept of “doing” vs. “being.” (Sect. 15)
Our responsibility for soul care in our relationship with God.
- 1. The reality is that one can be involved in vocational ministry and not be experiencing close communion with God.
- 2. When we are called into ministry, we are called to carry it out with a sense ofpriority. But when we get involved in ministry, we can sometimes lose our sense ofpriority.
- 3. The priorities of Jesus
- “Afterward Jesus went up on a mountain and called the ones he wanted to go withhim. And they came to him. Then he selected twelve of them to be his regular companions,calling them apostles. He sent them out to preach, and he gave them authority to cast outdemons.”
Before the Twelve were sent out to “do” ministry, they were called to “be with” Jesus.
4. The primary call and responsibility in a leader’s life is to develop a relationship ofintimacy with God.
- 5. “Doing” vs. “being” - This is where 2 paragraghs need to be written.
- a. One can become a “professional” instead of a personal apprentice of Christ.
- b. We live in a culture of doing.
- c. When “doing” becomes the priority over “being” in a leader’s life, the essence of whatministry is begins to be constricted in the leader’s life.
- d. True ministry is entering into and participating in what God is ALREADYDOING!
- e. Our “doing” is to flow out from “being”
- A life of deep communion with God requires TIME!
- John 15: 1-11 tells us that fruitfulness is the natural outcome of learning toremain/abide in union with Christ.
6. Knowing and experiencing the love of God is essential.
Recognize what spiritual formation is and things to remember as we think about spiritual formation.
“Spiritual formation is a process of being conformed to the image of Christ for the sakeof others
The focal point of our formation journey is to know God
. One result of truly knowingGod will be a life that takes on the character of Christ
- *Things to remember as we think about spiritual formation:
- a. Classic and contemporary understandings of Christian spiritual formation contain theelement of intentionality on the part of the Christian in the formation process.
- b. Although the Spirit of God is the initiator and sustainer of the formation process in ourlives, we are called to recognize and respond to the Spirit’s activity.
- c. This is to be ongoing and ever deepening, and we play a part in the process.
Explain (in 3 paragraphs) the seven aspects of how spiritual formation is the process of becoming likeChrist.
1. Now we do not need to worry ourselves about attaining some sort of sinless state, orperfection in this life. PROGRESS
2. Spiritual formation is a process empowered by the Holy Spirit.
3. The process changes a person’s inner and outer life.
4. The result of the formation process is that the believer’s life will be progressivelyconformed to the likeness of Christ.
5. Spiritual formation is a communal activity, not an individual journey.
6. Spiritual formation is a communal activity, not an individual journey.
7. The key word in all of this… PROCESS!
Recognize why spiritual formation is important.
Spiritual formation is important because it is God’s desire for every follower of Christ.
*Plan is ongoing part of every believer’s life*
Aspect of the Gospel and critical for outreach.
Recognize the explanation of Dallas Willard’s VIM acronym for moving into the spiritual formation process.
- V… The VISION of life in the Kingdom
- I… The INTENTION to be a Kingdom Person
- M… MEANS
*There are steps and practices can we engage that will advance us in a life offormation and transformation… spiritual disciplines/practices
*They are methods by which we obey the command to "put off" the old person and to