Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Three basic skills needed for effective communication.
- body language
Three communication styles?
- don't express feelings/thoughts
- do not stand up for themselves
- do only what others want to do
- try to get your way (bullying/intimidation)
- don't consider others rights
- attack other person not problem
- Express feelings/thoughts w/o hurting others
- Stand up for themselves
- Defend their rights but respect others
- Attack the problem not the person
Of the three communication styles (passive, aggressive, assertive) which is the most important to a healthy relationship.
How you say something is just as important as _______ you say.
When you want to deliver messages that have strong emotional content, consider using _______ messages.
What type of messages help you communicate your feelings positively, w/o blame or name calling?
List 4 techniques for active listening.
- reflective listening
rephrase or sumarize what the other person has said
no for sure what other person said
ask speaker what they think or feel
helps you fully understand what's being said
signal the speaker that you are interested/involved
nodd head or say "I see" or "Uh-huh"
imagine/understand how someone feels
share in someones disappointment
4 tips for active listening
- 1. direct eye contact
- 2. body language
- 3. signals to show you're interested
- 4. don't interupt
- 5. don't assume but focus on what is said
image and identity issues
lack of trust
- place in world
- person will become frustrated
- tolerant of differences
- boy vs. girl
use "I" messages to point out a problem you are having with another person
How do acknowledgements and compliments help a relationship?
- makes the other person feel good
- demonstrates good sportsmanship/good character
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview