The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Apollonian represents reason. Example: Agamemnon & Odysseus
- characteristics are moderation, self restraint, success, persuasiveness, flexibility, and modesty
The primary Gods: Zeus, Hera, Thetis, Hephaestus, Athena, Apollo, Poseidon
- Zeus-main god
- Hera-An Olympian goddess. She is Zeus’s strong willed wife who has
- tried to overthrow him.
- Thetis-goddess of the sea and achilles mother
- Hesphaestus- son of Hera, crippled, peace maker between Zeus and Hera.
- Athena-Zeus's daughter, goddess of wisdom
- Apollo-son of zeus, reasonable, sided w/ Troy & made Agamemnon give up war prize
- Poseidon-younger brother of zeus, god of sea
Persia was a strong central power that Greece relied on for protection
- Dionysian represents passion. Example: Achilles, the hero of Illiad, is Dionysian. Achilles is driven by his anger, the turbulent energy inside him that is expressed in great deeds and errors.
- Characteristics-excess, self willedness, honor, courage, integrity, and glory
Characters of The Illiad: Achilles, Agamemnon, Priam, Paris, Hector, Patroclus
- Achilles-greatest warrior for the greeks
- Agamemnon-King of greeks, has quarrel with Achilles
- Priam-Trojan king
- Paris-other son of Priam
- Hector-Son of Trojan king Priam. Achilles kills him in honor of his friend patroclus
- Patroclus-Achilles' friend that dies in battle
Homer's second poem. Main character is Odysseus and he is apollonian. he wins his greatest victories through deciet. he has self control.