Biology Ch. 8
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are two types of cell division?
Mitosis and Meiosis
When a cell undergoes reproduction and two "daughter" cells result that are genetically identical to each other and to the original "parent" cell.
What happens before a parent cell splits into two?
It duplicates its chromosomes.
The structures that contain most of the cell's DNA.
What happens during the division process?
- One set of chromosomes are distributed to each daughter cell.
- As a rule, the daughter cells receive identical sets of chromosomes from the lone, original parent cell. Each offspring cell with thus be genetically identical to the other and to the original parent.
- The creation of genetically identical offspring by a single parent, without the participation of sperm and egg.
- The lone parent and each of its offspring have identical genes.
Cell division results in the reproduction of a whole organism. What type of reproduction is this?
- Requires fertilization of an egg by a sperm.
- Each offspring inherits a unique combination of genes from its two parents.
After an organism is fully grown, cell division continues to function in renewal and repair, replacing cells that die from normal wear and tear or accidents.
Within your body, millions of cells must divide every second to replace damaged or lost cells.
The type of cell division responsible for asexual reproduction and for the growth and maintenance of multicellular organisms.
The production of egg and sperm cells.
A type of cell division of Prokaryotes (bacteria and archaea) that are reproduced.
Steps of Binary Fusion
- The majority of genes are carried on a single circular DNA molecule that, with associated proteins, constitutes the organism's chromosome.
- 1. As the chromosome is duplicating, the copies move toward the opposite ends of the cell.
- 2. Meanwhile, the cell elongates.
- 3. When chromosome duplication is complete and the cell has reached about twice its initial size, the plasma membrane grows inward and more cell wall is made, dividing the parent cell into two daughter cells.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview