The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the goals of positioning?
- Prevent skin breakdown
- Minimize contractures and improve alignment
- Provide a stable position to allow movement
- Allow interaction with the environment
- Provide a position of relaxation
What are the negative effects of staying in a position for too long?
- Skin breakdown
- Boredom and discomfort
- Learned helplessness
How to position a child with hypotonia?
- Don't leave child in positions that require "fighting" gravity.
- Use gravity to assist in maintaining a position.
- Support the extremities.
- Provide postural support.
How to position a child with hypertonia?
- Avoid positions that stimulate primitive reflexes.
- Avoid positioning the pelvis in posterior tilt.
- Provide postural support that conforms to the child.