Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who was Berzelius?
- The Father of modern chemistry.
- Made distinction between organic and inorganic
- Said organic contained a life force aka vitalism
Who was Wohler?
- created an organic compound using two inorganic compounds.
- "The Great Tragedy of Science"
Where is most of the world's carbon located? Second most?
What is flux?
how energy moves around
What does photorespiration bind?
- Oxygen. IT's going from sugar to carbon, represents the plant losing energy.
- Has closed stomatas
What is dissolution?
when carbon dioxide dissolves into the ocean. Transitions between carbonic acid and carbonate.
What are six ways carbon is put back into the atmosphere?
- Plant respiration
- Animal and Microbial respiration
- Litter-trees dropping leaves
- mushrooms grown in manure
Why do some leaves decompose faster than others?
- Lots of lignin is slow decomp
- Lots of glucose is fast decomp
Also due to the amount of nitrogen and temperature
What are the three forms of energy?
Who predicted oil would run out?
Hubbert. said in the 1960s it would hit it's peak
What is bitumen?
- It's in oil sand.
- Bitumen is a thick oil, consistency of tar.
- Less efficient
Who first figured out the greenhouse effect was happening?
Fourier 200 years ago. but he only proposed it was getting warmer because of the stars
Who figured out why greenhouse effect was happening?
Tyndell. Made a contraption to measure radiation. Figured out the CO2 absorbs radiation and that's why warm
What does albedo do?
- Changes the amount of solar radiation that bounces
- off the earth back into space.
what did arrhenius theorize?
if carbon dioxide changes temp maybe that's what caused the last ice ages.
Who is Croll?
He came up with Eccentricity (orbital shape) Obliquity (axil tilt) and precession (wobble of the earth).
Who elaborated on Croll's work?
Milankovitch. everyone forgot about Croll.
Who was Keeling?
- Tweaked Tyndell's invention (that measured CO2 absorbing radiation)
- Found Co2 seasonal change
Co2 concentration goes ______ at night and _______during the day.
What is the greenhouse effect in terms of energy that being converted?
Electromagnetic energy is converted into kinetic energy
What is a proxy measurement?
a measurement of something relating to CO2.
What are examples of proxy measurements?
- The amount of rings in a tree (the more CO2, the more the tree grows width wide
- Coral grows less when there's more CO2
- diatoms found
What are three gases effective at trapping heat and contributing to the greenhouse effect?
- Nitrous Oxide
- Nitrogen Triflouride
What are three direct effects of increased CO2?
- Ocean Acidity
- Fertilization for C3 and C4 plants
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview