The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name the two ways of life and give a brief definition of each.
1. Epicurean – eat, drink and be merry
2. Stoic – moderation in everything, find out what God wants then do it.
What should we focus on in life? (3pts)
- -Each person is individually unique
- -To be like God
- -Focus on things that makes us like God
- -What does God want us to change.
The UNIQUE calling life of each person
List four qualities that builds friendships
Honesty, caring, trust, shared interest
Explain what a stereotype is...
Preconceived general statements about classes of people
Explain the 'Happiness Question' as it relates to popularity, consumerism, individualism and immediate gratification.
Popularity: Good – it is good to have friends
- Popularity Bad: just trying to be popular, personality changed, lying
- Consumerism: good: we need to eat, have shelter, clothes
- Consumerism: bad – just wanting things
- Individualism Good: sense of our own importance
- Individualism Bad: All about me, what’s in it for me?
- Immediate Gratification – if you are hungry so you eatImmediate Gratification Bad – cheat for marks to avoid everyone getting on your case
Explain what are some false awarenesses
- · Individualism
- · Consumerism
- · Technological fixes
- · Immediate Gratification
What are the five steps of BEING CRITICAL
1. Be aware
- 2. Compare what’s happening in your life every day
- 3. Compare what’s happening to what you want to happen!
- 4. Decide how to act
- 5. ACT
Give a definition of Criticism
Criticism: the conscious assessing and judging of experience using principles, beliefs and other experience
Give a definition of reflection
Reflection: The conscious consideration of experience in the light of the purpose of life leading to wisdom.
What are some limits on speaking to God?
· We can not understand God unless he tells us
- · God is the Great Mystery, the knower
- · We really only know what He(God) reveals to us, himself
What is your understanding of trust?
· Trust is a feeling, when trust is destroyed the relationship is destroyed
- · When we trust we make ourselves vulnerable
- · We learn not to trust
- · We trust God is good
What are some other words used to describe God?
- King of the Universe