Lecture 9_ Nutrition and Metabolism.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
1. What is a nutrient?
A substance in food that promotes normal growth, maintenance, and repair
2. What do growth, maintenance, and repair require?
3. What are the three major nutrients?
4. What are three other nutrients?
5. What are Kcals?
The energy value of food
GWhat is metabolism?
6. The sum of all chemical processes that occur in the body
7. What is anabolism?
The building up/ storage of energy
8. What is catabolism?
T the break down/use of energy
9. What is Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR)?
The energy needed to perform most basic, essential activities
10. What factors influence BMR?
- Surface area
- Body temperature
11. What are some dietary sources of carbohydrates?
- Starch (complex carbohydrates) in grain and vegetables
- Sugars in fruit, sugar cane, sugar beets, honey and milk
12. What two types of carbohydrates are there?
- Insoluble fiber
- Soluable fiber
13. Where are insoluble fiber carbohydrates found?
Cellulose in vegetables
14. What do insoluble fibers do?
15. Where are soluble fibers carbohydrates found?
Pectin in apples and citrus fruits
16. What do soluble fibers carbohydrates do?
Reduces blood cholesterol levels
17. What are carbohydrates used for?
- After converted to glucose:
- Its used as fuel by cells too make ATP
- Neurons and RBCs rely almost entirely upon glucose
18. What happens to excess glucose?
It is converted to glycogen our day and stored in the liver and muscles
19. What is the minimum amount of glucose needed daily to maintain blood glucose levels?
100g of glucose
20. What its the recommended minimum of glucose intake to be able to do normal activities?
130g daily to do other activities other than maintain normal books glucose levels
21. What its the recommended total calorie intake of glucose?
45-65% of total calorie intake mostly complex carbohydrates
22. What are the two types of triglycerides ?
23. Where are saturated fats found?
- Dairy foods
- Tropic oils
24. Where are unsaturated fats found?
- Olive oil
- Most vegetables oils
25. Where is Cholesterol found?
- in egg yolk
- organ meats
- milk products
26. About how many calories should be consumed daily?
27. True or false Trglycerides are the "GOOD" type of lipids
False, Essential fatty acids (un-saturated) lipids are the good ones :)
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview