The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are 2 types of skin infections ?
- 1.)Superficial cutaneous ( at or near the surface of skin; epidermis)
- 2.)Subcutaneous ( happen within the dermis; middle of hair follicle)
2 examples of Superficial Mycoses :
- 1.) Pityriasis versicolor (tinea versicolor) : chronic superficial fungal infection leading to hypo/hyperpigmented patches on skin. Exposure to sunlight leads to tanning of patches around skin but not the fungus (Malssezia species)
- 2.) Tinea nigra : Causes dark brown to black painless patches on the soles of hands and feet (exophiala werneckii)
Whats a type of superficial cutaneous mycoses ?
Examples of dermatophyte infections :
- 1.) Tinea corporis =mycosis of the body - RINGWORM2.)Tinea capitis=mycosis of the scalp3.)Tinea axillaris=mycosis of the underarm
- 4.)Tinea cruris= mycosis of the groin "Jock itch"
- 5.)Tinea pedis=mycosis of the foot "athletes's foot
- 6.)Tinea unguium=(onychomycosis) = mycosis of the nails
Examples of Candida albicans:
- 1.)Oral thrush (mouth)
- 2.)Diaper rash (groin)
- 3.)Candida vaginitis (vagina)